chapter 21

Chapter twenty-one

Malcolm flung the library door open wide. "What's going on?" His gaze swept the room. All he could see was Mabels small form curled in a chair. She had wrapped her arms around herself. "Lady Stephanie?" he walked closer. The lamlight gleamed in Mabels eyes and cast a golden shimmer on her skin, and revealed the shadows of her body beneath the gown. She was twitching and rocking, her lips forming silent words. There were furrows in her forehead, lines that seemed to have been carved from intense misery. Anyone could tell that she had suffered. And one had to be stupid to fall for that.

A sneer pulled at the corner of Malcolms mouth. She must have realised he was following her and started hiding, "You little fraud," he muttered.

"This playacting is beneath even you"

She pretended not to hear him. Her eyes were half closed, as if she were caught in a mysterious trance.

"That's enough," Malcolm said and set the lamp on a nearby table. With rising annyoance he realised she intended to ignore him until he left her alone. "Do not make me repeat myself or so god help me if I wont drag you out mysef, is that what you are hoping for? A scene?" as she refused to even look at him, his endurance and patience snapped. He seized her shoulders, giving her a hard shake, "I said that's enough---"

An explosion of movement made Malcolm almost retreat back, Mabel gave an animal cry and struck out blindly, springing from the chair. She stumbled against the table and nearly overturned the lamp. In a quick reflex Malcolm kept her from falling as he reached out and grabbed her. Even then her panic didn't cease. He jerked his hea back to avoid the frantic swipe of fingers clawing. Although she was a small woman, her wild struggles were difficult to contain. Somehow he managed to crowd her aainst him, crushing her flailing arms between them, she was immobile. She flinched and went rigid, breathing in rapid pants. Malcolm slid his fingers through her thick curls and forced her head against his chest, he muttered a string of curses and tried to soothe her, "Christ, Stephanie, its alright... relax... relax.. easy"

The heath of his breath sank through her hair to her scalp. He kept his hold on her tight enough that only the slightest movment was possible. She was too disortended to hear correctly. Neather speak. He tucked her under his chin and began to rock her gently, "It's me," he murmured, "It's Malcolm. Everythings all right. Easy"

The words felt like a slap as she regained herself slowly, like she were waking from a dream. The first thing she became aware of was being held in an inexorable grip. Her cheek and chin were pressed against the opening shirt buttons making his chest tickle her skin. She held the urge to breath in his scent of masculinty. It was Malcolm holding her in his arms. His hands were moving in a slow stroke on her back. She cant recall since she had been touched so familiarly it had been to long. Her first instict was to wrench away from him, but that was her instict as Mabel, and not Stephanie. And the circling motion was gentle, softening the brittle tension of her body. It made her want to sink deeply into him.

Malcolm felt her aftershocks, she was light and lithe against him, "My lord?"

"Easy, your not steady yet"

"Wh-what happened?" she mumbled.

He watched her and something twisted inside his chest, "You sleep walk, why havent you told anyone? I doubt it is the first time". Damn he didn't want her to retreat when she was still in shock but the harsh tone in his voice made her wrench back, "And give you the idea to put me in some kind of asylum?" she replied shakily, he grabbed her hand and crowded her back in his embrace, "Be still. You've had a shock"

She had never heard his voice so gentle and caring. Mabel blinked in confusion, she had been hold like this before by him, she had forgot how right and calm it felt. For the past days his attire and himself was cold and retrieded even if he fancied her as stephanie he was never this affeconiate besides their heated kissings.