chapter 25

Chapter twenty-five

"Why have you not told me" her father was watching her over the dinning table, with great care she gave her aunt the medicine that the doctor specificly told. Her father regarded her with shock after reciving the letter that she was not seen in the ball for weeks, the explanation being her seeking her aunt, "I thought—I thought that"

"Thought what?" her father pounded on. She took a deep breath and meet his hazel eyes, "I thought.. your reputation would be ruined because of us.. you would.." she could not bare to say it and by the sigh of his voice as he stood up and crowded her into his embrace she held the tears who threatened to fall, "You silly fool, you thought I would strand you guys just because of filthy peoples words? Had I not told you that you come first, over anything, the society, gossip, everything before" he murmured with scolding.

The tears did fall this time, she had been so terrified, that he would not welcome her aunt. Four years and she had still not seen it as a garuantee, because nothing was a garuantee. She believed he would regret it one day, to take in a poor girl, even if she was his daughter. She had wanted to live another name, another identity and it was the birth name he called her for two years before her mother changed her name and ran away with her. Her father had never wanted to shield her from society, he said screw society. He had found his daughter, and not a single embarassment was in his face.

but she still lived with a doubt, that it was to good to be true.

"Listen to me, has anyone treated you badly? Anyone---" his protective voice made her laugh softly and made a move from his embrace, "No, father, I—it was splendid truly"

"Do you think I would fall for that lie? You are my daughter, do you know that your eyes twinkle when you lie?"

She gasped, "I do not"

"You do, and the corner of your mouth twitches"

"It does not"

"Now out with it and I want names"

She took a deep breath as the chilling breeze of november came over, the fireplace being the only warmth she got, she started telling him everything. Everything with Malcolm, six years ago and how fate reunited them in the most cruelest way. But she left out the part of him throwing her out from the ball, it would cause a rift between them and the trades they had, knowing that her fathers face was stern and took every part seriously she chosed her words with care. When she was done her father rubbed his tired looking face, "I should have told you who hosted, I should have—" she shook her head, she knew it was a plan of fate, "We would have meet someday, lets not dwell on it any longer, I shall take aunt to sleep, we had a long ride"

Her father watched the hidden emotion wavering through her face, "I have told the maid to prepare for a room" he told her.

"No, it wont be necessary, she will share my bed" Mabel told. Her aunt had not gotten accoustoumed to the place, she needed comfort and nearness.

Her father watched her and felt glad that she did not ask his word to not do anything, because he would. And he would take the first carriage to London and have a word with the viscount. He had known the mans father and was great friends, both in business but social life as well. He had heard his affection of his son and concern, but it turned out that no one was prepared for how his son took over Londons market, becoming an demanding and itimidating man who could not be satisfied it had always shocked the marquess to see and wonder what had changed the once carefree and kind boy. He never thought his daughter shared history with the man, by god he would strangle him, viscount or not if she came to harm.

But first he would snap some logical sense in the viscount, because it seemed like he knew less of his daughter than he possibly could ever know.

He headed for his study and wrote a letter telling urgent business and called his footman to be sent before dawn.

_______________________________

  Vote and comment!