chapter 3

1809

1 year later

The sunlight glimmed through the bonnet covering Mabel Coster sight and hair, were it not for the importance of this day she would precesly not cover herself as much. But her aunt were not bringing answers to the table.

Which meant she had to find it herself.

A strange feeling in her chest knotted, the word mother, something she never new the love of. She was determined to find answers, after all it were the only rots in the family tree she had left besides her aunt Beatrice. 6 months and the clue was right before her eyes.

The horrible evening of Lord Ruthfourgh calling her in his study , she recalled it bitterly

''Little chit, I believed you were more intelligent considering that you achieved in bewitching the future viscount, but never had I imagined him to be fooled..after all.. the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" Lord Ruthfourgh barked a laugh at the shocked expression of a startled lady, he clicked his tongue continuing, "You thought your scheming plan would go undiscovered? Hiding as a maid when you spread your legs for the Viscount? I know, all of it... You better vanish like dry sand like your whore of mother"

Mabel felt like a brick suffocated her lungs, she swallowed as her ears went numb with every word he spat, filled with hatred and mocks, "Stop" she barely could utter a word.

The hoded eyes of Malcolms uncle that always regarded her with strange curiousty, if only she had knew that it all would one day come out. But it was not her only, her mother, The woman she barely knew, the woman her aunt refused to speak on, , but his accusing words of her mother brought a burning anger inside of her, "Do—Not—Speak ill of my mother"

Routhfourgh lit the cigarette between his fingers as he regarded her in silence, Mabel breathed heavily trying to retrain the urge to claw his face and leave a permanent mark, He broke the silence as his eyes raked over her and held her gaze, "Mother? Would you like me to tell how motherly she was? Abonding her bastard child? Whoring in the streets of London? God knows how many gentleman she cunned---" Mabel couldn't listen to his harsh words one more second, she refused to acknowledge it, "I don't believe you!"

He barked another laugh that clawed inside her, "Well darling, if only you knew she was a hairstrand away and did not bother to search for you,"

And here she was. At the ugliest side of London, at dawn. She barely knew anything of the so called Gentlemans club, just that if a lady set her foot there she would in her whole lifetime be ruined. Her reputation would be filled with scandals, but Mabel never had one good to begin with, nor was she a lady. Were it not for her lover Malcolm Grey, The new Viscount of London,  her heart ached whenever she recalled leaving his bed this morning, he made love to her until sunlight streaked and her cheeks warmed as a desire rushed to her yet again, it was as if she could not get enough. He made her like that. He hated when she left his bed, she reminded herself it is for the best, she knew one day they could not hide it, one day it would all come sprawling back and his name would be ruined, scandals would follow him, she could not allow that. So she left, even if it hurted her to the core. Just the look on his peaceful sleeping chiseled face, she held the urge to do something stupid like caress his cheeks, kiss his lips. But she choked holding back the tears threathning to fall as she gave a last glance before leaving without a word, she meant to leave him a letter or anything but Lord Ruthfourgh was waiting like a ticking clock and threw her out only giving her what she asked for.

Her mother.

The old wodden door creaked as the darkness in the winter of London overtook her senses, before she had the pleasure to knock or mentally prepare what she would say to her mother if she was here indeed, the door flew open as a man swung looking foxed, he slurred words with his coat and attire loosely done, Mabel clenched her fingers as his gaze fell on her, his lips curled into a smirk, "And who are you sweet-ting—" before he could finish or come near her with his stumbling legs the door yet again flew open and Mabel took a step back as the man almost fell on her, "Get lost!" A man roared looking like a gambler. She only heard stories of them, a thrill of fear ran through her as the man narrowed his eyes on her, it almost seemed like a daily basis for him, like intruders came back and forth.

"And who are you?" His tone held an accent that mabel hadnt the time to figure out, and definitly not when he was piercing his gaze on her like a thief, "Uh—I am searching for a woman named Angie, Angie Armstrong" she stuttered like a fool,

He regarded her intensly before he nodded curtly, "And you are?"

Mabel wet her lip feeling her throat gone dry, "Her daughter"

The man did not bother to comment on her statement that nearly made her pass out, god heavens! What in the world has she brought herself upon, she bit her inner cheek to contain the nervousity or was it perhaps hunger? After all she went without any food in her stomach. Whatever it was it did not stop making it feel like her heart would lunge out of her chest, He went back into the door and closed it sharply causing the wind to blow heavily on Mabels face, her bonnet fell on the ground but before she could reach for it the door wiped open and she halted In action.

Mabel straightened in a blink of eye and faced the wooden door, she couldve seen wrong, there is no way that a woman appeared and the were it not for the tiny light gleaming through what was behind the door she couldve been in denial.

Mabels throat closed up as the woman seemed to take in her appearance just as she was doing herself, the hair, the thick wavy brown hairr, the hair that used to iritate her of why it wouldn't stay by the help of clips, until she choped it off leaving it now shorten.  it looked like she got it from her mother. Mabel leaped in emotions as if she longed to run into her embrace and----"Who the bloody hell are you?" The sharp and stern tone sizled like a knife through Mabel. In that moment Mabel felt like a bucket of cold water was drowned on her.

It felt all surreal watching someone that apperantely was her mother seem so far away... like a stranger from a parerel world, "I- I am your daughter..."

"My daughter?" Her words did not hold a tiny bit of surprise, no.. It was like she knew.

Mabel shivered as the cold went through her limbs, the woman continued, "What made you come here?" the cold tone did not leave her voice,

And If god Mabel had not imagined anything besides this when she meet her mother, that she was alive and well.. was all she ever prayed for. But a tiny hope of meeting her never left her soul,

At that moment Mabel had never felt more than alone in this world, Angie, her mother who shouldve embraced her and tell her that they would leave this hellhole and build a life together,

The person she chosed over her lover,

Mabel felt the burn in her eyes, "Forgive me.. I perhaps went lost and found a wrong place"

The woman regarded her and mabel could swear she saw some emotion flicker in between her eyes but it was gone in a blink of eye as she coldly spat, "Make sure it wont happen again, now get on your way"

———————————————————————-

Tap on the orange star and comment ;).

A/N. I have written this book and are almost finished, I will upload every chapter everyday now and as a holiday gift, three chapters will be updated every day now.

Hope you enjoyed!