Little Akward

They were quiet. Really quiet. They ordered their food and just... stared at eachother. Suddenly Ellie reached over and pinched him. "Ow! Geez B, what was that for?" "Just want to make sure that I'm not dreaming." "I assure you," he grinned, but was it just a bit different? "I am very much real." Another silence ensued. Torres made no efforts to break it. Ellie sighed. "You are not making this very easy, you know." Setting aside his water glass he said awkwardly, " Yeah, I know. And I'm sorry, but this isn't really one of those hey, how have you been conversations." She nodded, "Yeah, I can see that. It's hard to start over I guess." Torres grabbed her hand, rubbing his thumb over her knuckles. The callousness of his hand shocked her. It felt like... rock. But they were surprisingly gentle. What had he done? But he had started talking again. "--lie I need you to know that..." he fumbled over his words like an infant learning to walk, "I look at this, whatever this is, as an unpause of sorts. I'm not saying we'll pick up where we left off. But I don't want to start over this time."

A spark lit in her eye. This was something new. This was Torres in the flesh. He was different. In some ways, maybe worse, but in some others, better. In a fashion eerily similar to five years ago when they had occupied a booth in a bar, she stood up, sat on his side, and snuggled in beside him, feeling safe and for the first time in a while, complete under the warmth of his arm. "How's this for a good start to unpausing" she asked. "Good," he whispered as his fingers of rock began to twist and tangle and play gently with her golden hair.