A Small Step

One night, after work, yes, in the booth, Ellie coule feel that something was different. Nick was, not restless, but unsettled. "What's wrong," she asked. She felt him stiffen at the words. "Please let me help you," she said softly. I can't! "Let me help you," she repeated. His mind was screaming at him. Don't say word. She shouldn't know. She can't know. It's too dangerous. She was interlacing her small fingers around his. "Let me help you Nick."

That did it for him. He knew this was not a good idea. His being fought to protect her from the horrors of him memory. But she had surprised him before. "I can't sleep," he began. "Well I know that," Ellie said, "but why?" His breath began to quicken. But the pressure of her fingers reminded him that he could not fall apart here. Steadying his breath, he said, "I can't even close my eyes, Ellie. Every time I do I just... see and hear things. Things that, you know, I wish I could forget, but I'm also thankful that it's me and not someone else who has to know the the things I know." Ellie was silent. What do you see, she wanted so badly to ask. She knew better than to push him. The day would come, when he would have to tell her, because if whatever they had was going to work, that was just the way things were going to have to be. But for now she just settled back into his side. It was at least a small step towards what he would have to do.

*Sorry for the format error. All of these have been copied and pasted.