Moving Forward

So Nick was back. Things fell into their old routine. Things obviously couldn't be exactly the same. But it really did feel like Nick had unpaused rather than reset. So the "old routine" was good for him. Once again under Vance's orders, Nick attended therapy. In secret. The therapists reports were usually cut the same way: He wasn't opening up. But unlike those years before, it wasn't apparent that he was struggling in any way, so he was allowed on the field without any reservations that he could unleash and go ballistic.

The team was glad to have him back. It felt like it really was him. It was the whole Torres they knew and appreciated. Though he had fallen into his old habit of deflecting with humor, talking about "killer workouts," and discussing superficial topics with no insight to his essence, the MRCT was happy to have what they did know of him back in their lives. Most importantly, it felt permanent. If anything had changed about him, he was making efforts to really put down roots, something as foreign to him as one of Ellie's snacks. But he was trying to stay. Because of that, there was an essence of peace and security that rolled off him in waves. The rage that had consumed the light of his eyes had dissipated. The dark cloud of knowledge, knowledge of horrific truths still haunted the foreground of his expression. But this Torres was familiar. What had frightened the team most (yes even, Gibbs though he would never admit it) was that look in his eye before he left that was strange and dangerous. It was gone now, and he was moving forward.

He didn't talk about "hot dates" any more. That, seemed to be the most notable change. McGee, though curious as to the disappearance of the playboy vibe Torres constantly seemed to emit previously, tried to remain above groveling for information. He was a married man after all, not to mention a father. And... if he wanted to... he could just ping Torres's phone location. Not that he did, because, c'mon. That would be a serious invasion of privacy. Gibbs just smiled mysteriously to himself and Ellie... well she knew what he did after work was done. What they did.