november 26

"Why are both of you so cheerless today? Did someone die?", San asked his friends Mingi and Yunho, who were just listlessly poking around in their food.

It was break time in school, so the group had met up in the cafeteria to eat together. Since then, San's best friends talked barely, ate barely and moved barely.

"You don't make jokes about dead people, San", Yunho said, looking at his friend seriously.

"Woah, woah- I didn't mean it in a funny way, calm down. It was a serious question."

"What date is today?", Mingi asked.

"Is this a rhetorical question or..."

"Jesus, San, just say the date."

"It's November 26", Yunho interrupted. He sighed deeply, before finally starting to eat his noodles.

"And what's so special about this day?", San was still confused. Why did his friends have to beat around the bush like this, couldn't they just tell him what was up?

"It's Wooyoung's birthday."

Oh.

"I didn't know that", San whispered, more to himself than to the others. "Why didn't he tell me?"

Mingi snorted contemptuously. "Because he didn't even know you when he was still alive."

God, San wanted to tell them so bad. He wanted to tell them that their friend Jung Wooyoung was still there. Hell, he already did twice. But Yunho and Mingi didn't believe him.

To be honest, wouldn't have believed himself if he didn't actually talk, see and touch the ghost.

His thoughts drifted to this morning. When he woke up, the younger boy was gone. Or at least he wasn't visible anymore.

Maybe sometime during the night, he had turned back into his ghost form.

That didn't explain why he couldn't do it in front of San's mom, but at least he was "back to normal" now.

However, San hadn't communicated with him yet. His biggest wish was, to hear the younger's thoughts again. But for some reason, he didn't.

"Can we please change the topic now?", Yunho pleaded. It was obvious that he would start to cry any second if they continued talking about Wooyoung.

"I already have to go to class to prepare a presentation", San mumbled, jumped up and quickly left the cafeteria.

This was a lie, but he had to spend some time alone now, so he went to the classroom and sank down on one of the chairs.

He took a few deep breaths. Since this ghost came into his life, he couldn't get a lot of time for himself. That was okay. After all, he liked Wooyoung. Maybe even a little bit more than just a friend. He realized that a while ago.

Nonetheless, some alone time would've been nice.

"Well, hello there", a voice said.

Annoyed, San opened his eyes, just to see Seonghwa standing in the door frame. He forced a smile and invited the other boy to sit down next to him.

"Hey, what are you doing here so early?"

"I could ask you the same question", Seonghwa chuckled.

"I just tried to escape all the people in the cafeteria", San mumbled.

"Understandable... Hey, uhm, about the project we have to do, how does tomorrow sound for you? We could finish it then", Seonghwa suggested.

"Sounds good."

"At your place?", the older smirked.

San only nodded. It would be a relief, if they finally finished their project.

"Great. Dress up for me then, pretty boy."

San choked on his own spit, felt a cold wind hit his face and at the same time, heard an angry grunt in his head.

If the situation wasn't so odd, he would've had to laugh loudly.

"There you are, Wooyoung", he whispered so quietly that Seonghwa couldn't hear it. 

But Wooyoung's ghost ears did.

You know, after you found out that today is my birthday, I thought I didn't have to say something until you come up and surprise me with a present or something, but THAT is not the present I want!

San was taken by surprise from the sudden torrent of words in his head.

Or did you already forget about my birthday? Y-you really did, didn't you? Okay then, go ahead and flirt with PaRk SeOnGhWa, it's just your soulmate's birthday, after all, nothing important.

"Uhm..", San didn't know if he should talk things out with Wooyoung or answer the expectantly staring Seonghwa in front of him.

Good bye, Mister Choi. Have fun with pArK sEoNgHwA, your soulmate is gonna leave and be alone now, on his BIRTHDAY.

And with that, the voice disappeared.

———————————-

I couldn't be less satisfied with a chapter.