42. Birthday

"Do you think she would be okay?" Taehyung asked nervously. 

"Of course. She is used to staying at their house overnight. She really likes Seokjin hyung too," Jeongguk replied without taking his eyes off the road. 

Taehyung adjusted his cannula nervously. "Hmm."

"So....are you excited?" Jeongguk tried after some time and received an excited, vigorous nod from Taehyung in return. With a frown, Jeongguk reached out to intertwine their fingers and placed their interlocked hands on the gear. 

"Then why are you so silent?" 

"Simply," Taehyung mumbled as he looked at the buildings that their car zoomed past. 

He was in a dilemma. It was his birthday and he wasn't sure if he wanted Jeongguk to know about it. He wanted to get a wish from him. But he also didn't want him to know about it because he didn't want him to buy a gift for him. Taking him to a club was enough already. 

"Hmm."

"Oh, by the way," Jeongguk started after a while, squeezing Taehyung's hand to catch his attention, "what's your dream? I mean, in your life.....in general..." 

"Hmmm..." Taehyung hummed, thinking about it with a small smile, "I've always wanted to go to a University or something. You know.....experience college life and all...and....umm....I like dancing. I can never dance more than a few steps, but still. I like it. I want to be able to dance to a complete song at least once. A hard dance, not a soft one."

Jeongguk didn't reply. He simply stared at the road with a dreamy look on his face. Somehow, hearing that innocent dream, something that seemed impossible taking Taehyung's condition into consideration, brought a few tears into his eyes. 

"Do you dance, then? When you are free?" he asked after a while. "Hmm. While cooking. Not always, though. It makes me too out of breath to concentrate and the food ends up getting burnt," Taehyung answered sheepishly, making Jeongguk snort. 

"And guess what?" Taehyung asked. 

"What?"

"Hana sometimes sings along when I play a song to dance. She has a beautiful voice," Taehyung said. 

"Oh yeah, I've noticed that. I've noticed that she gets too hyper when someone's dancing as well," Jeongguk said. 

Taehyung chuckled. "Cute, right? After few years, we can put her in some class," he said. 

"Of course. What do you think of a spring wedding? At the beach?" 

Taehyung barked out an awkward but surprised laugh. "How did this go from Hana to our wedding?!" he asked. 

"I've just been meaning to ask," Jeongguk chuckled as well, his eyes crinkling up in joy. 

"I don't mind anything, but I need some time. I need to find a job and save some money for it," Taehyung said. Jeongguk threw him a sour look. "What am I there for?" he deadpanned. 

"For being my husband. You are not my bank," Taehyung pointed out. "Nonsense. The second you marry me, I become yours. My everything becomes yours. Your everything becomes mine. No exceptions," Jeongguk said sternly. 

"Nonsense," Taehyung copied him, "you and your family worked hard to earn that. I can't just sweep in, marry you, and suddenly claim that money to be mine. I'll earn my own money, just give me some time. I'm going to pay you back for the surgery and the medicines as we-" Taehyung yelped loudly, hands flying forward to catch himself against the dashboard as Jeongguk slammed his foot onto the break suddenly and angrily.