Page 9

"Because you've given me no choice! We're suppose to be partners, remember? But you decided this on your own. You've decided to leave me."
- Stephanie Myer (Twilight Breaking Dawn)

I laid in my bed waiting for Shannon to fall asleep so I could see Kylie. He seemed oddly restless tonight. He tossed and turned letting out an exasperated grunt.

"What's wrong?" I asked turning toward his bed. I could just barely make out his shape in the dark room.

"I there's a reaping that will determine who advanced to the next stage of training." He sat up against the head board with his knees up.

"What are you so worried about? You'll do great! You're one of the best!" I said trying to cheer him up.

"You don't understand, Jared. If I make it to the top two," he paused. I could almost hear the stress, pity, and sorrow in his voice. "I have to kill my competitor, or they have to kill me."

"Why don't you drop out? I'm not okay with you possibly getting killed!"

"I have to Jared. Even if I could drop out, I wouldn't."

I quickly sat up and turned in the bedside lamp and glared at him. "What do you mean you wouldn't?"

He let out a sigh and looked at me. "If I can make it. If I could get into the royal guard. If I could be come the commander of the royal guard, I'll know where every guard is stationed I'll be able to find a crack in the system! I can get us out of here!"

I shook my head. Something about the plan scared me. I knew he had good intentions, but in order to save us that meant killing, and Shannon was not a killer.

"No, Shannon. I don't want you to do this. Bomb the very first fight, I don't want you to be involved in this! Say you do get far enough to challenge the commander, what happens when he kills you? What happens to me? Everything you worked for will be in vain! There has to be another way."

"There is no other way, Jared." Shannon stood and moved over to my bed and sat in front of me. He wrapped one hand Around the back of my neck and pulled my forehead to his. "I will not fail you. Knowing that you were alive and needed me was the only thing keeping me from ending my life. You're my reason for living, I can't sit here and watch you be treated like slave. I'm going to get you out of here even if it does kill me in the end."

"Shannon-"

"I'm not finished. If I do die saving you, you have to promise me you'll run, and don't look back." I opened my mouth to talk but he quickly continued. "Don't look back! Not for me, not for this hellish life. No one, Jared."

"What if you don't get to that point, Shannon! What if you die before you can make it into the guard? Then I'll be trapped here alone. Is that what you want? Because it seems like that's the only option you're giving me. Leaving me in this world alone to fend for myself! And dammit! Stop treating me like a hopeless child! I've been here longer than you have! I know a lot more than you do! If you would stop trying to be superman, we could figure something out! Together!"

Shannon looked at me slightly hurt, but he stood his ground. "How long do you think that would take, Jared? How long would it take for us to figure out enough of their weaknesses to create an escape plan?"

"I don't know, Shannon! But we have a fucking eternity to figure it out! So sit back and enjoy the ride." I stood up and left the room leaving Shannon staring after me.

I was furious. He was determined to die to save my life and he didn't even bother to know what I wanted. I wanted him alive. I wanted him by my side forever, but he insisted on dying for my freedom, and I wasn't going to let that happen. I saved his life some years ago, and to see him wanting to throw it away just to save me was like a slap in the face.

I found myself in the garden again and sat down on a bench. It was a cool night and wind calmed my agitated mind.

"I was wondering if you were ever going show up."

I turned around and saw Kylie standing there. She was beautiful in the moonlight. I didn't hesitate to pull her into my arms. I kissed her temple down to her jaw and finally her lips. When I pulled away I didn't look into her eyes. I suddenly felt as if I wanted to break.

"Jared? What's wrong?" Kylie took my hands in hers and kissed them.

I wanted to tell her, but I couldn't. Not yet. I smiled and shook my head as I kissed her one more time.