Page 13

"Crying is never a symbol of weakness... From the time we were born, it has always been a sign we we are alive..."
- Unknown

Shannon's POV

The reaping was today and my nerves and mind were jumbled. I couldn't focus on anything, and Jared was nowhere to be found only making matters worse. I needed to talk to him. I paced back and forth in our room biting my nails down to stubs.

I sat down on the bed and tried to calm myself but failed miserably. The silence was driving me to insanity. I needed to do something, so I got up and went to the infirmary expecting Jared to be there.

I knocked on the door, and when it opened I was faced with one of the other doctors that worked there.

"What?" He said harshly.

"Have you seen my brother?" I asked trying to be polite.

"No. And even if I did I wouldn't give a damn." He slammed the door in my face.

I walked through the hallways looking everywhere for Jared, but never found him.

I glanced at my watch. An hour until the reaping. I gave up on trying to find Jared and made my way to the training center. There were people already lined up to watch. I pushed my way through the crowd and into the arena.

I saw Aviana sitting on the side lines. Her face seemed passive until our eyes met and fear quickly took over. She shook her head slightly and indicated that I needed to leave.

Kylie's POV

Jared's lips crashed into mine the moment the door shut. He was hungrier than ever before as his lips devoured mine.

I moaned and pulled away for air, and he went to kissing and biting my neck. He pulled me even closer squeezing what little oxygen I had in my lungs. His hands traveled down to my ass and he picked me up wrapping my legs around his waist and slammed me against the wall.

"Jared!" His hands slid up the skirt of my dress and into my panties. His fingers rubbed my slit causing my body to shiver in ecstasy.

He grew more aggressive with each passing second. He carried me to the bed and fell on top of me kissing my neck. He pulled my panties off in one his motion followed by his pants. He pushed my dress up and thrust his full length inside me.

I stifled back a scream as drilled me hard and deep. I looked into his eyes, and there was something behind them that I didn't recognize. I reached up in an attempt to tangle my hands in his hair, but he quickly pinned them down above my head.

Instead of feeling pleasurable, it began to hurt as he showed no mercy.

"Jared! Jared, please you're hurting me!" I cried out, and he stopped instantly.

He looked down at me with tears streaming down his face. His hands that held mine began to shake.

"Jared, what's wrong?"

He didn't respond. There was a knock on the door, and Jared solemnly but quickly got up and hid in the bathroom.

I fixed my dress and made sure nothing was out of the ordinary before I opened the door.

"Your Majesty, the Queen requests your presents at the reaping. It begins in ten minutes," a servant said bowing to me.

"Thank you. I'll be there as soon as I can." I said closing the door. Jared reappeared fully dressed and his face was pale and horror stricken.

"Jared?" I reached out to touch him, but he backed away looking at the ground. I could see thoughts running through his head, but I had no clue as to what they were.

He finally looked at me and touched my cheek lightly. He pulled me close and kissed me with such intensity it left my head whirling.

"I love you," he said before running through the door and toward the arena.