Chapter 1

"Wake up!" she heard, echoing into her room for the dozenth time. She could not will herself to rise, yet the sun yearning into her window told her she should. "Arnora, now!"

Arnora, who preferred to be called Nora, sat up. Her silky, long hair pooled around her waist and swayed as she stood up. She took a deep breath. Today was supposed to be a long day.

Nora's sister entered her room without asking and pulled back the curtains. Sunlight poured through in a blinding fashion.

"Gyda," Nora groaned. "Must you be so chipper so early?"

"Must you be so drowsy always?" Gyda asked her. Gyda was Nora's older sister and had been looking forward to today since they were children. Odin had decried his two sons eligible for marriage and was hosting a party to celebrate and introduce all eligible ladies of the land.

"Must we go?" Nora asked as she sat down in front of her vanity. Gyda, already dressed, dolled, and fitted in her corset and gown, plucked a brush and began to drag it through Nora's enchantingly long hair. She managed strong braids and pinned them to Nora's head, hiding its length. It made her and Gyda look the same.

"Of course, we must," Gyda scolded her. "It's what mother would want."

Nora sighed and nodded. Their mother had passed away some years ago, and she knew that it would overjoy her to see either of her daughters in a place of power in Asgard. Their father, Ulfar, hadn't stopped speaking of this day since it was rumored the year before felt the same. Odin, the king of Asgard, had two sons. And Ulfar, a welder and widow, had two, beautiful daughters. It seemed like a perfect fit.

Gyda helped Nora into her gown and powdered her in makeup. Nora, as troublesome as ever, would wipe the makeup away as soon as her sister left her unattended. The powder made her look much paler than she was, and she didn't want to look like a replica of her sister. She was her own person, no matter how much Gyda tried to spin her as a twin.

"Come," Gyda pulled Nora's corset tighter. She felt she might burst out of it. "It's time."

Ulfar escorted his daughters to Odin's castle, one on each arm. There were many others dressed as they were their hair done up high, white and pink all over, walking in the same direction. Nora felt like a fool.

Odin's home was magnificently large, as it currently held half the population of Asgard. A symphony orchestra was perched in the rafters, the sound of their instruments echoed off the gold and marble and over the chatter of bachelorettes. Odin and his sons had not yet arrived, but Gyda did her best to push their way to the front of the crowd to be seen first when they did. Ulfar hung back in the crowd to stand with the other fathers and his friends.

Suddenly the music changed to an elegant entrance, and Odin strode in from the heavens. He took his place standing at his throne and surveyed the crowd. Everyone fell into a bow in his presence as he towered over them. "Good day.

"I thank you for coming to attend this glorious day amongst the many to come. This courting season shall choose the future Queen of Asgard, as well as the future King. I present my two sons, Thor, God of Thunder."

Thor, tall, muscular, and with long, blonde hair strode to his father's side. He adorned a red velvet cape and a fitting, leather suit. The crowd applauded at his entrance, as Thor was loved by many Asgardians.

"And I present my son, Loki, God of Mischief."

Loki strode in a flashier fashion, saddling up in front of Odin and Thor and bowing to the people. They applauded him back.