16"

The remaining day at the store was quiet and boring. I texted a bit with Luke and Ashton, but they didn't have a lot of time. By the time I got home, Ashton messaged me, frustrated. The new songs weren't as easy to handle as they thought and all of them were disappointed in themselves. I thought they would be used to things not working the first time, but I guess they weren't. The way Ashton sounded he thought he was the reason, and I couldn't really believe that. I texted Luke, hoping he was a bit more reasonable.

"What happened at rehearsal and why does Ash sound like he did everything wrong?"

"He did not. We all were bad. I don't know why. I missed notes, forgot lyrics. Michael had trouble with his guitar parts, same goes for Cal on the bass. We tried several new songs, and it just didn't work out. He won't listen to me, maybe you can go over and convince him."

"Damn, yeah I'll try to. Don't beat yourself up over it. Everyone has bad days. On some days I can't play the easiest songs on guitar, that's just how it is."

"I know, I'm just worried if something like this happens on tour. We've never had a really bad day this far..."

"Luke you'll be fine, trust me. You're amazing live, let alone your energy on stage makes up for any mistake you could ever make."

"Thanks Haze, now go look after Ash."

"on my way"

I quickly looked for busses, luckily finding one that only took 15mins and I left as soon as I packed up a few things. I got off the bus and walked for about 5mins until I arrived at Ashton's house, praying he wasn't in the basement drumming and would hear the doorbell. But there was no need to worry, he almost immediately opened the door. 

"Haze, what are you doing here?", he asked, clearly surprised. 

"You sounded disappointed, and Luke told me what happened at rehearsal...so, here I am.", I replied, suddenly insecure. Should I just have stayed home and called him? Maybe it was a bit too forward, just coming here. 

"Come in.", he said, and opened the door further, allowing me to walk inside. 

"Well, how are you? You sounded sad." We sat down at the kitchen isle, while he poured me a cup of coffee. 

"I'm alright, you didn't have to come here. I mean I'm glad you're here, but you didn't have to." 

"You smoked and the way you're sweating you were either drumming or working out. You're obviously not alright.", I stated, shaking my head at his behavior. 

"Drumming.", he mumbled, and I nodded, having guessed that already. 

"Do you want to talk about rehearsal or just go back down there?" 

"Go back, I don't want to talk right now, maybe later.", he said, stood up and held his hand out for me to take. I did so and he pulled me down the stairs. He sat down behind his drums, and I stayed outside on the couch. He started drumming and I literally could feel his anger still. Maybe it was better to just let him be and ask about it later.

An hour later, or maybe it was even more, he stopped, which made me look up from the guitar I had been messing with. He motioned for me to come inside, and I put the guitar aside and opened the door to his little booth. 

"Are you done?" 

"I am, come here.", he replied, moving his stool back a bit and pulling me on his lap. I was confused, to say the least. I mean yeah, we cuddled, but since when was I sitting in his lap, not that I didn't like it, because it really felt natural to me. He put the drumsticks in my hands, arms around me from the back and started playing an easy beat with his foot, leading my hands to add to the beat. 

"Loosen up.", he mumbled next to my ear, and I tried to relax my tensed shoulders. He kept going, leading my hands, and eventually I really let loose and let him take control and it actually was really fun. I turned my head to the side, trying to look at him and saw his concentrated face. It must be harder for him to coordinate my hands as well, but I loved seeing him this passionate. 

"If you're gonna keep looking at me like that, I won't be able to concentrate.", he says quietly, and I try to focus back on the drums in front of me. For a second there, I had hoped he would kiss me. My thoughts scared me, but at least I realized what I wanted even though I know I won't act on it. I turned my head back to the side, not being able to resist looking at him. He was so close to me, and I felt so comfortable, completely forgetting about the time. I just never wanted to stop watching him, live his passion and letting me in on it. I know he felt me watching him, and I saw his eyebrows furrow, trying to concentrate and not miss a beat. He eventually changed it to an easier one, holding it easily while turning to look at me too. I felt his hot breath on my face, making me realize how close we were. 

His eyes darted around my face, searching for any sign of disapproval before he slowly stopped drumming, moving one hand up to my cheek and leaning in. I closed my eyes and felt his lips on mine, slowly at first, maybe waiting if I would pull back, but more confident, when he noticed I had no intentions to. He pulled away but left his hand on my cheek, keeping me close. I looked into his eyes and slowly we both smiled. I almost wanted to laugh out because of the pure happiness I was feeling. I rested my head on his shoulder, while he tried to pull me even closer to him. 

We sat there for a while, none of us saying anything,only him occasionally leaving a kiss on my hair or forehead and starting a quiet beat with his foot. To me it was perfect. I couldn't have asked for a better moment or situation, it felt amazing and so right to do. I looked at him, expecting him to focus on his drums, but he was looking down on me, gone the sadness I had witnessed when I first arrived at his house. He leaned down and quickly pecked my lips, and I couldn't help but grin, hiding in his shoulder again so he couldn't see how stupidly huge my smile was. 

"Stop hiding,you're cute and I'm happy. I didn't expect this day to turn out so perfect after all.", he whispered and I looked up again, silently agreeing with him. Some days just turn out better if you give them the chance.