23"

I watched the fans wait outside from the bus window, talking and joking around, sometimes singing songs randomly and everyone joining in. I looked over at Ashton and the rest of the boys, lazily laying around on the couches.

"Guys.", I said, but no one listened.

"Guys.", I repeated, louder this time, and when still no one answered, I hit Ashton on his shoulder, making him look up at me.

"What was that for?", he exclaimed, and rubbed his shoulder.

"Oh, as if that hurt. You've been ignoring me, while you were stuck on your phones, and I wanted to ask something.", I replied, and meanwhile had all of their attention.

"Shoot.", Luke answered, and I explained my idea to them. I could see they were hesitant, especially Luke, but they also were excited, so they agreed, and quickly got themselves somewhat presentable.

I walked out of the bus and straight towards the fans. Some of them discovered and recognized me, which still felt weird. I hoped they wouldn't be too loud, otherwise my plan would definitely not go through. I stopped in the middle of the line, most of them were already facing me.

"Listen, the boys are gonna come out here in a minute for a short acoustic concert, some pictures, some good talks. They can't stay forever but I convinced them to use the time until soundcheck wisely. When they come out here, please don't scream too loud. We don't want to attract attention and they also can't sing that loudly, especially Luke has to keep it on the down low because of the upcoming show. Can't have him lose his voice now. Can you guys do that?", I explained my idea, and I could see the excitement light up their faces as they replied in normal voices, no screaming.

"Great.", I muttered to myself, and turned around to see the boys already on their way over. Surprisingly no one screamed. I had hoped that they would stay calm, but I never imagined it to work like that. As soon as one would get too loud, other fans would 'shh' them to keep it quiet enough. Michael and, to my surprise, Ashton had brought along an acoustic guitar. I stood on the side, watching Luke introduce themselves unnecessarily and Ashton count in the first song 'Youngblood'. I filmed it the whole time, planning to put it on YouTube or parts of it at least on Twitter and Instagram.

"Soo, any requests for the next song?", Michael asked, and that's when it got louder, everyone shouting song names at them.

"I've heard Jet Black Heart, I've heard Ghost of You, Outer Space and Invisible. Y'all want us to cry together, I see.", Ashton summarized, and everyone laughed, a few screams mixed in there.

"How about we do Beside You, it's cryable but not too sad?", Luke suggested, and Michael started strumming the chords, agreeing quickly.

"Ash you know that one on guitar?", Luke asked, but Ashton denied.

"Well, I know who knows it.", Luke, says, grinning mischievously. No, he wasn't serious.

"I have to record, Luke.", I replied, trying to make it really clear that I did not want to play guitar.

"Michael's good on his own.", I added, but Ashton, walked over, handing me his guitar silently, while I made sure to throw him the biggest glare I could manage.

"You'll be fine.", he whispered, while I adjusted the strap around my shoulder. I looked over at Michael worriedly, and he understood, going through the chord shapes while Luke kept talking with Calum to entertain the crowd. I eventually nodded at Michael, and he shot me a reassuring smile. I pulled my guitar pick out of my jeans and threw one last glare towards Ashton. Michael started playing and I eventually joined in, keeping an eye on his guitar, to see the chord changes. Luke sings the last line, and we finish playing.

The fans cheer and I quickly hand the guitar back to Ashton. He laughed at my still fearful expression but took the guitar anyway. They played a couple more songs, and afterwards started talking to some fans. I stayed back, bringing the guitars back to the bus, taking my time. I didn't want to interrupt or give them the feeling they had to hurry. I knew how much this meant to the fans, and I didn't want to tear the boys away, but they soon would have to get to soundcheck. I sighed and walked back over.

The soundcheck went great, lots of great questions, no one really freaked out, just a really calm and happy atmosphere. I had photographed some parts of it but went backstage to meet up with Sav before the show. She would watch the show from backstage this time. I desperately wanted to ask her about Calum but before I was able to push the conversation in that direction, the boys came walking into the dressing room. Ashton walked over to me, Calum went straight for Sav, sitting down beside her and starting up a conversation about the small acoustic set they had done previous to the soundcheck.

"So, how'd you come up with the acoustic show outside?", Ash asked, and I just shrugged.

"I saw them waiting and thought about what I'd want you guys to do. It was great though, I bet they love you even more now if that's possible.", I replied, and leaned my head on his shoulder, craving some kind of connection, something we had been missing the rest of the day since we still haven't officially said that we're dating.

"They probably love you for organizing it. But really, I enjoyed talking to them, like the good old times. It made me remember what music really can do. I mean, there were hundreds of people there, from all different kind of paths of lives, and for these few hours everyone just lived in the moment, for the music, for each other. Sometimes you forget things like that when you rush from interview to show to the plane and back to the next interview.", he explained, and I noticed the other boys had quieted down, looking at him.

"I know what you mean, but that's exactly why we kept this tour so small.", added Luke, and the other two boys agreed.

"And it's working.", I concluded, smiling at them.

The show this night was different. They played the same songs but somehow there was more meaning behind it. As if everyone had always known, but just remembered today, how important, and fragile music and the fanbase were. They put every emotion they had into their songs, and I could see that through the lens. They were even sweatier this time when they ran backstage after the show, still high on serotonin and adrenaline. Sav and I were waiting for them, when they rushed into the dressing room, laughing, shouting around, maybe not wanting to come down for another while. Ashton rushed over to me, kissing me with full force, but quickly pulling away again. We stared over at Calum and Sav. Calum had done the exact same thing as Ashton with Sav. I could tell she was surprised, hell I could tell Calum was surprised because of what he did. No one moved, I didn't even dare to breathe until Sav smiled and pulled him back down for another kiss, releasing all the tension in the room at once. I definitely would have to talk with Sav and Calum about this. However, right now we only had an hour left until we had to get on the bus to San Francisco. Calum's timing couldn't have been worse but also not better in a way. I probably would have wanted to clear things up before he leaves too.

Sav and Calum were standing a little away from everyone, trying to make saying goodbye easier than it is.

"I'm glad I can come along.", I whispered to Ashton, and he nodded, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

"I am too."

Eventually Sav walked over to me, saying goodbye, and I shot her a look, telling her we would talk about this as soon as I got a quiet space somewhere. She smiled and she looked happier than I've seen her the last years despite having to say goodbye to him already. We all waved one last time and hopped on the bus, sitting behind the windows, watching, as the bus started and we saw Sav getting smaller.

-------------------------

☼ please vote ☼