Ghosts are Near

The knock almost startles you, breaking you from your peaceful happiness.

"Er, Arthur?" Abigail calls from behind the door. You both frown at each other as he places Alfie carefully back into your arms.

You don't miss the way his hand twitches over his gun and you subconsciously draw Alfie closer to you, shielding his head with your hand.

Opening the door Abigail greets him, her face blushing slightly with embarrassment at having to ruin the family moment. Offering you a guilty smile she looks back to Arthur, unsure how to explain John's request.

 Offering you a guilty smile she looks back to Arthur, unsure how to explain John's request

"John er- he said...Well he left, he said we should leave." She continues to mumble about John being dramatic and how he's probably just paranoid, but Arthur heard all he needed to hear, turning slowly he raises his gaze to the doctor, his lip curling slightly with anger and you're confused as to what the hell was going on.

"What do you know?" Arthur growls crossing the room and pinning the frightened doctor to the wall by his throat.

"Arthur!" you gasp shocked by his outburst.

He ignores you, his focus purely on the doctor who begins to ramble and gasp as Arthur's hand closes tight around his windpipe.

"I-I-sorry- I tried- too many of them."

The doctor was beginning to confirm why warning bells had been firing in Arthur's head. The room looked like someone had been searching for something because they had, and apparently, the doctor knew exactly what or who they were looking for. Closing his eyes with a heavy sigh he releases his grip just enough to allow the doctor to continue.

"I'm sorry, I truly am. They followed me back here after your check-up. I begged them to let me help you with the birth first, so they waiting in town. It's the best chance I could give you. You have to believe me!"

"Arthur, what's he saying?" you whimper, tears beginning to fall as you pull your son tight to your chest.

"What's their plan!" Arthur practically growls, fisting the doctor's shirt and raising him to his tiptoes.

"They're waiting in the saloon, they'll ambush you as soon as you leave." He closes his eyes, turning away from Arthur's furious graze.

Arthur releases the doctor who slides to the floor, burying his head into his hands continuing to whisper numerous apologies. He rakes his hands through his hair, gripping the roots as he begins to pace back and forth.

How the hell was he going to get you all out of this one?

How was he going to keep you all safe?

Your blood runs cold when you realize what was happening. Micah was waiting for you, the doctor had bought you as much time as he could but Micah was smarter than you gave him credit for. He knew you couldn't run immediately after giving birth, he knew Arthur wouldn't risk any harm coming to you or your baby in your vulnerable state. Micah had you cornered.