Two Paths

"Arthur I didn't think it through, this is a mistake." Charles hurries to keep stride with Arthur. "John and I will send a letter. Tell them where to send the pills We can wait at the post office so we'll get them back here as fast as possible."

Arthur carries on undoing the tether with one hand, his other checking that the cinch was tight. "I gotta do something." He flips the reins around and pulls himself into the saddle.

"Arthur listen!" Charles blocks his path and grabs a hold of the mustang. "Your wife needs you here, with her." Arthur simply stares at him, his mouth pressed into a thin line. "Let John and I take care of that." He nods back to the tent. "You wanna do something? Just be there with her when she wakes up."

Charles had known just what to say. A talent that Arthur both admired and despised at times. With a slight nod of his head, he swings his leg back down to the ground and doesn't miss the obvious exhale from John.

"We'll take care of it," Charles places a hand on his shoulder, squeezing slightly.

"Me too." The group turns to see Rains Fall leading his horse over. "I know of a herb that may help but I'll need supplies from the village too."

Arthur nods, "Thank you." Turning back to his friend his shoulders slump, "She's my world Charles, see to it we keep her safe." He turns back to the tent with his head hung low.

  ***

"Watchu  writin"?" Tris leans over the edge of the bed to see what had Jack so preoccupied on the floor. Ever since the maid let him into her room he'd been ignoring her "Why'd you rip Daddy's book?" She eyes the journal Jack had torn a page from and was now furiously scribbling over.

"Somethin' ain't right here Tris. I think we're in trouble." He pushes himself up, folding the note into a small square. Tris rolls on her back and stares up at him, her eyes seeming twice the size from upside down. "I don't think Mary is a good person."

Tris scrunches up her nose and flips around, she presses her stuffed bunny up to her chin "Yea" she murmurs into the fur. "I don't like it here, I want to go home."

Remembering his promise to Uncle Arthur, Jack sits on the bed beside her, pulling her close, he wraps his arm around her and hugs her. "Have you seen Alfie today?" She shakes her head against him. "I saw him earlier and he said he's missing his big sister."

Tris elbows him in the ribs, "That's silly, Alfie can't talk."

"What?" Jack gasps. "You ain't heard him? He talks about you all the time."

"No, he doesn't."

"He told me, he loves you so much and that he can't wait to play with his big sister." She lowers the rabbit an inch revealing her growing smile. "He said he's most excited to play sheriff with you, and he won't mind if you make him the bounty."

"You're being silly." she pushes him away.

"No, I'm not, he told me." Jack springs up from the bed and holds his hand out for her to take. "Aaaand he asked if I'd bring his big sister to say hello to him."

Tri's smile falters and she draws the rabbit back to her lips. "Mary doesn't like it when I go near him."

"What?" he drops his hand "Why?"

"He was crying so I went to show him, Isaac." She lowers the rabbit to her lap and picks at the stitching. "Mary yelled at me and told me to go play somewhere else."

For a beat Jack is still, his brow furrowing from confusion to a brow. Shoving the note into his back pocket he forces a smile and pries Tris's hand from around the bunny. "C'mon, let's go see him together."