A Meeting of Ghosts

The air is hot, but the sky is grey with angry clouds that threaten to spill. Mary frowns at the sky and tightens the ribbon of her hat under her chin as she makes her way to the Bastille. She's tired, she'd been up most of the night, her makeup is hastily applied, and her hair is loose, stray wisps frame her face as they slip from her bun.

 She's tired, she'd been up most of the night, her makeup is hastily applied, and her hair is loose, stray wisps frame her face as they slip from her bun

Pausing with her hand on the hotel door she catches her reflection and sighs before stepping into the steady hum of the downstairs bar.

"Mary, over here!" Jamie waves at her from the back, gesturing to the table he's saved for them. "You look tired." He notes, tucking her chair under the table, "I'm sorry again for calling at such a late hour. How's Tris doing?"

"She's fine." She waves her hand dismissively and nods at the waiter, accepting the tea he offers. "I don't have long Jamie, I have errands to get to, what did you want to catch up on?"

Jamie shakes out his napkin and smooths it over his knee, an action that Mary realizes she finds soothing. It reminds her that her brother remembers his manners even after brief stint years ago with the Chelonians, a religious cult she considered a menace to society. Yet another story in her life that involved Arthur.

"Maybe I could tag along?" he drops a sugar cube into his teacup and brings it to his lips, "We haven't seen each other since the funeral."

"Best you don't." she purses her lips, "Tris is a little overwhelmed by your visit, she's very sensitive since Arthur left."

At Arthur's name, Jamie lowers his cup, "Actually, I was hoping we could talk about that. I'm sorry for how I reacted but you'll have to forgive me, it was quite a shock to learn my sister had a child and never told me." He leans over the table and takes her hand in his, "Last night I was wracking my brain wondering why you never said anything. Even at Pa's funeral, you didn't say a peep, but then it struck me. You were scared."

Mary stares down at her hand, nodding slowly.

"See I knew it." He scoffs, "I bet he refused to marry you when he found out."

She shakes her head, and he snorts through his nose.

"Damn outlaws, no honor. Tell me one thing though Mary, how did it happen? I thought you were done with him?"

Pulling back her hand she loosens the ribbon under her chin and takes a drawn-out sip from her tea. At the bitter taste, she quickly places it back down on the saucer.

"We ran into each other back in Valentine just over five years ago." She watches him for a moment before continuing. "I was picking up an order in the shop and there he was, collecting supplies. We decided to catch up and well, I won't go into details, but you know, one thing led to another, and I was with child. He visited a few times over the years when he could, but his visits grew less and less. The poor dear has had a hard time coping with his absence, she's been under this fantasy that she's going to run off and find him somewhere.