Agonia

Warnings: Heavy angst

5 Years Ago

"Now I hope you keep well Mary but I gotta go take care of some things."

Mary feels the rising desperation to not let him leave. Every old feeling for him came rushing back the moment she places her hand on his knee.

"Arthur don't go, please."

"I don't have time for this. Y/N's gonna give birth in a few months and I gotta make sure the world is safe for her when she does. Good day Mary." Turning his horse, she stares after him as he rides away, her hand hovering pointlessly in mid-air.

Give birth?

You were pregnant. Arthur had finally done it, he'd moved on. He was going to be a father again, a title Mary had once hoped she'd be the one to give him. But no, it was you. You'd sunk your filthy claws into her Arthur, distracting him, guiding him away from her and into your bed. Now you were carrying his child.

You were living out what should have been her life.

Present Day

You smile down at your toes, enjoying the sensation of the lake's clear water lapping around your ankles. The sun was warm and for the first time, you were able to relax a little. Arthur had taken some convincing- and puppy eyes- before he had agreed to let you leave the medical tent, the only compromise being that he insisted on carrying you, still not convinced that you were feeling better.

But the truth is you actually were.

Rains Fall had returned with a flower he thought could help, and after hours of preparation, he had presented you with a syrup-like liquid that you were hesitant to drink. Under Arthur's anxious gaze you swallowed it down, and within hours the painful ache had finally begun to recede.

Arthur and John then wasted no time. Under Rains Fall's strict guidance, they went out looking for more, bringing back handfuls of plants for the chief to work with. You were finally beginning to feel optimistic, but yesterday something about Rains Fall's behavior made you sense there was something else.

"Tiio, is everything okay with your uncle? You whisper as she helps you sit up for your second dose.

The chief was standing over Tiio's workstation with a deep frown. Every so often he would pick up the plant and shake his head.

"Let's just focus on you right now." She smiled her fingers working loose your shirt so she could feel around your stomach. "Let me know where it hurts."

Seemingly pleased with your progress she tucks you back under the blanket.

"Neice, I need to speak with you." You can't miss the pained expression on his face as he eyes you.

He guides Tiio from the tent barely glancing at Arthur as he came in.

Mai, Arthur's new best friend, circles his legs like a shadow, demanding his attention. Arthur scoops her up in his hand and places her on his shoulder like a pirate with a parrot.

"Everything okay?" he drops beside you, wincing when Mai digs her needle-like claws into his neck to stay balanced.

"I think so. The chief seem off to you?"

Arthur frowns at the doorway, "A little. But-." He leans over and kisses your temple, "I ain't bothered about that right now. How ya feeling?"

"Better. So much better in fact." You kick the blankets off, laughing at how Arthur's eyes widen and then pop into a panic when you try to stand, "I want to get some fresh air."