Escape

A/N: Buckle up, she's long.

Warning: death

Abigail paces back and forth across the cell

Abigail paces back and forth across the cell. Your eyes follow her feet from where your cheek is pressed against the bench you lay on, the hardwood worked smooth and shiny from years of drunks and criminals gracing its seat.

Everything that had let you to this point played through your mind, but rather than cry you felt nothing.

No pain. No remorse. No fear.

It would all be over soon, and you could stop fighting against the determination this world had to tear you apart.

"That's it." Her feet stop and turn towards you, but you just continue to stare at where they stand. "Get up." They step closer until her skirt blocks your view.  "Now." She hisses when you don't move, and you feel your arm being tugged.

You glare up at her grumpily but push yourself to sit up, watching Abigail peers through the bars at the guard before sliding herself on the bench.

"I'm going to faint.

"What?" you straighten but she shushes you, her eyes looking back over her shoulder at the guard in the corner.

It was the middle of the night and the only people in the jail were yourselves, Tommy who sat at the front desk, and two guards.

"I'm going to pretend to faint, or collapse, or fit, or whatever." She flaps her hands in front of you, her eyes wide and frantic, "Jack's too young for all this, and that idiot over there, he's going to hang if we don't do something." She clutches your dress. "They're all I've got."

You look over to where John sits back against the bars, Jack's head on his lap as the pair snooze. "Abigail we can't-."

"Don't you dare tell me we can't." tears prick at her eyes.

Abigail was usually your strength, she was fierce and fearless, and you always relied on her to keep you going. Now with your situation seemingly helpless, it seemed it was time for you to return to favor.

"Alright," you nod and sigh, "What did you have in mind?"

Taking a deep breath, she leans in, explaining her plan in a hushed whisper until you're clear on what you have to do.

"Ready?"

You nod leaping up and rattling the bars. "Help! Quick! She needs help!"

Behind you Abigail drops, her body convulsing painfully on the concrete a choking gag escapes from her throat reminding you of what had happened to you at the hands of Mary's 'medicine'.

"Guards quickly! She's having a fit."

"Alright alright. Keep it down, what's the matter?" The guard ambles forward with no urgency, "Shit shit shit." one look at Abigail has him quickly fumbling for his keys.