Inherited Traits

Arthur stumbles through the door half-carrying John who hunches over clutching his stomach.

"Oh my God, John!" Abigail bursts passed you knocking you off balance and throwing her weight through the door.

Tiio catches you, holding your arm and guiding you towards the commotion. John groans, his head dropping forward while Arthur struggles to keep him upright, Malcolm hurries to clear the table, scooping up his tools and placing them on the side cabinet. You pull your arm from Tiio, walking around the table you notice that John's shirt is dark with blood.

"He's bleeding pretty bad." Arthur's voice is strained as he hoists him onto the table with Malcolm's help.

His head falls back heavily with a cry as the energy drains from him. 

"Guess it's finally settled. Arthur...ah... is the better outlaw after all."

"Oh my God, you idiot!" Abigail covers her mouth, horrified when she spots the red stains on his hands where they clutch at his stomach.

Charles pulls her against him, keeping her eyes away and preventing her from becoming hysterical.

"Arthur, what happened!?" You begin to help him free John from his shirt, your fingers slowing when you pull it free and see the deep bullet hole. John groans loudly and his hand grasps at his wound blood smearing across his stomach, sweat drips down his brow and his face is beginning to pale as more blood spills from the hole.

"Farm had a dog, woke up the owner." Not lifting his gaze, he quickly shrugs off his jacket and rolls up his sleeves. He's so focused on John you don't know if he's even noticed Charles and Tiio's presence. "Bullet's still in him." He adds bracing his hands on the table.

Malcolm appears, handing over a pair of pliers that look like they came from his fishing box. Before he can make a start and pull it out Tiio steps around him, leaning she inspects the hole, her hair pulled back and her face serious.

"Right now, it's stopping him from bleeding out." She lowers her face closer to the wound and her lips press into a thin line. "We need to act fast when it's out."

"Who the hell is this?" Arthur's eyes snap up to you. "Charles!?" his brows shoot up when he sees who's standing behind you.

"Good to see you, brother."

John howls in pain again, demanding your attention. You slide your hand into his and you feel him squeeze; if it was from the pain or in search of comfort, you couldn't tell. Pressing your hand over his you reassure him that it was going to be okay.

Trusting that you'll explain later Arthur begins to help Tiio set out the makeshift supplies, most of which consisted of fishing tackle that had been previously lying on the table. Turning your attention back to John, your eyes trace over him, scrutinizing his appearance for any sign that he was going to be okay.

A bullet was always serious business, but the rate at which John and Arthur got shot you had become somewhat of an expert on which ones you needed to worry about. Frowning when you see that his breath was turning to gasps you squeeze his hand, letting him know you're with him but inside your heart begins to pound with fear.

"Alright, as soon as it's free he's going to bleed like a stuck pig, so I want you to press this sponge down hard. He isn't going to like it, but you have to keep it firm."

Arthur nods, trading the pliers for Tiio's sponge and placing a firm hand on John's hip. Taking a deep breath, you ready yourself while Tiio leans in, bringing her face as close as possible, and with a practiced gentleness she tries to remove John's hands, but he resists, his body beginning to shake with anticipation. She looks to Arthur for help nodding toward his hands.