I'm used to it

Prompt: Fire

-----------------------

"P - Peter?" 

Peter glanced up from his book, a little worried when he saw Edmund stood in the doorway, wrapped in a blanket and shivering. "Ed?" He murmered. "What's wrong?" 

Edmund sighed. "I can't get the fire in my room lit." He replied. "You reckon you could?" 

Peter nodded, placing his book down. "Of course." He said gently, standing from the sofa and walking over to his brother. "You that cold?" 

Edmund nodded. "Freezing." He breathed, wrapping the blanket tighter around himself as if proving a point. 

Peter sighed sadly, placing a hand on Edmund's shoulder as he led him through the castle and up to his room. 

Edmund sat down slowly on the bed, watching as Peter lit the fire. 

It took a while, but eventually he got it going, before turning to his brother and sitting down beside him. 

"Thanks." Edmund all but whispered.

"Don't mention it." Peter mumbled, grabbing another blanket and wrapping it around Edmund's shoulders.

"I hate January." Edmund grumbled. "All the cold and memories but without Christmas to look forward to and take my mind off it." 

Peter nodded a little, understanding completely. "I know." He breathed. "But it'll soon be spring, don't worry." 

Edmund gave him a weak smile, starting to warm up now thanks to the fire burning in the corner of the room. "Can you play a game of chess with me?" He asked after a while of silence. 

Peter smiled. "Course." He answered. "I'm not doing anything else." 

Edmund thanked him with another smile as he took a deep breath. "Can we play on the floor by the fire." He mumbled. "I'm really cold." 

Peter nodded. "Sure." He breathed. "Want me to find the chess board?" 

"Yeah." Edmund sighed warmly in reply. "But I hope you're prepared to be beaten." He added with a smirk. 

Peter rolled his eyes. "To be honest." He muttered. "I'm used to it by now."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡