Maybe next Christmas

Prompt: Church on Christmas morning

-------------------

"Do you ever think Susan will figure out Aslan is Jesus?" Lucy asked sadly as her, Peter and Edmund got ready for Church one Christmas morning.

Edmund sighed. "She doesn't even believe in Aslan." He murmered. "Let alone Jesus."

Lucy bit her lip, feeling Peter place a hand on her shoulder. "It's okay Lu." He all but whispered.

Lucy shook his hand off as she grabbed her coat, shaking her head. "No its not." She breathed. "It's not okay and we all know it, how can she just completely forget like that?"

"Wouldn't we all like to know." Edmund grumbled, wrapping his scarf around his neck.

Lucy stared at him for a moment before slipping her feet into her shoes. "I wish she'd come." She said sadly. "Perhaps it might open her eyes."

"You want me to try asking one more time?" Peter suggested.

Lucy hesitated before shrugging. "You could." She murmered.

Peter nodded, before hurrying into the living room where Susan was sat staring at the Christmas tree with a cup of tea in her hand. "We're off." He said slowly.

Susan smiled. "I'll see you later then." She said gently.

Peter bit his lip. "Are you - are you sure you don't wanna come?" He asked.

"Peter-"

"Come on, it's Christmas morning." Peter sighed, cutting her off.

But Susan still shook her head. "I don't want to come." She told him. "Please don't ask me again."

Peter stared at her. "Aslan-"

Susan frowned. "Are you seriously going on about that?" She asked, her eyebrow raised.

Peter swallowed hard and took a deep breath. "Susan please, Lucy really wants you to be there." He whispered.

"Well I don't want to be there." Susan said firmly.

Peter, after a while, could tell she wasn't going to change her mind, so just nodded, moving his stare to the floor. "I'll see you later then." He grumbled, before heading back out to Edmund and Lucy.

"Any luck?" Edmund asked.

Peter shook his head. "She doesn't wanna come." He breathed. "And she isn't going to be changing her mind anytime soon."

Lucy looked even more upset by this, but quickly wiped the look off her face and took a deep breath. "Well," She all but choked. "We should get going then, we'll be late for the service."

Peter nodded in agreement, calling up to their parents that they were leaving, before the three left through the front door.

"Maybe next Christmas she'll come Lu..." Edmund tried to reassure his sister.

Lucy smiled sadly. "Maybe she will."

☆☆☆

And she did, but not with her siblings.

She sat in the back row, silent tears streaming down her cheeks, she regretted not going with her siblings the year before, because she would do anything for them to be there with her now.

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆