TWENTY-THREE. glass stepping stone

( not proofread )

THE FIRST PLAYER HAD THE SPOTLIGHT AS EVERYONE HE LOOKED PRESSURED, "but then, how do I tell which is the tempered one?" as the suited man docent response he shudders as he looks down to the two glass stone that were laying in front of him. before he decides the woman on the PA come on again, "for this game, you will have 16 minutes. players must cross the bridge within those 16 minutes. and now, with that, let the game begin."

"each player, take off your shoes, then go up to the tiles in order." the first player took off his shoes as he trembled with fear running over him. he placed his first foot on the white bar along with his other one. once he did the clock started ticking now counting down from the 16 minutes. as a minute passed by he was still deciding to which one to go, "what are you doing?" a man said followed by another voice, "we're losing time!" player 101 didn't waste time and walked up to the shuddering man.

"take your step now or I'll push your ass." he threaten him while the other man quickly agreed. "I'll go. I'll go, okay? I'll go. I'll go right now." he looked to his two choices which were both the same shape, size, and view. "and please try to choose carefully, huh?" with the support from the lady he made his first jump in which he got it correct. the glass didn't break but I meant he still had a lot left to go. "you did it." as he kept getting praises he looked around to the next two options, "oh! yes, that's it. keep doing that one after the other."

"come on."

"you got this."

the second jump he took immediately took him to the bottom, died. the next lady took the one he had took and now it was her time to guess the next step. as she tried to attempted the correct guess she also went straight to her death, making now two less players in the game. player 062 was up next choosing wisely could make him live. "hurry the hell up and go!" someone had shouted to him from the back. making a run for it he passed which shocked a lot of people.

but not enough to make it out alive. player 021 had went up after not long he had asked the lady which glass stone he had went one before going on. "excuse me, ma'am. do you think that you could help me? you happen to remember what he chose next? I cant seem to recall which one now." as he started shaking the lady looked at him and made eye contact. "oh, I don't know, uh, it happened too quickly."

"think hard please. since both of our lives depend on getting this next one." as he begged for the lady to tell him which one she looked at the glass stones for a second. "the left one I think." she looked hopeful as she blurted out the response. "wait no. he went right then he went left." after getting lots of response back from the other players he made the next choice in which it was to jump to the one he wanted. the screams could be heard from the back where yujin was standing upfront of gi-hun who was the last player. after everyone started going gi-hun held them back for a while.

"there are ten tiles left, and 12 people still playing. if they manage to step on one or two each, the four of us can get across to the end." gi-hun let out his plan, as sangwoo spoke up yujin looked at him. "that might not be the case. if one of those players get scared and starts to run down the time, we are in danger at the back of the line." as they looked at the timer they had around less then 10 minutes left to make it across the bridge. 

after some time sae-byeok had grabbed yujin's hand and walked her up to the white line in which they both stopped, "listen. you're going to follow my steps alright. if I don't make it out of her you will." she told yujin as she went up to the first glass stone. as they both watched up to sangwoo who was in the lead out of all four of them, gi-hun went last as he couldn't choose between the first glass stone. after some argument the players had, player 101 wasn't going to go first unless someone went before him.

"my god, you're all such idiots." mi-nyeo said to deok-su. "man, you used to act like such a tough guy. babe, what happened to you? are you really pulling the shit? aw, babe, you're pathetic." as she said those things to him she forgot the timer was still running and their were more players behind them. "you're just an ugly old bitch, okay. look, im not moving forward. not at all."

"all of these people dead but the worst thing is..I let you fuck me in the bathroom that day." she revealed, well not that everyone heard it but you get it. "why don't you go first to die?"

"fine. sure."

"you don't think that I'd be able to do something quiet as cowardly as..waiting here til I die." as the man started laughing the woman looked at him in disbelief. "come on then, go ahead."

as she hopped over to his stone she hugged him tightly not letting him get out of her grab, "what are you doing?" mi-nyeo bent over her body making them both fall down after they both died another man went after the same thing happened to him. more and more people were close to die.

there were five people left an older man was in front of them all squatting down to look at the glass stepping stones. "move. quick!" sangwoo told him, as the man kept inspecting the glass. "hold on. wait, one second. I can tell the panels apart."

"you can tell?"

"I used to make glass for over 30 years." the man informed them. "you cant normally tell, but..when you look at the tempered glass when its lit from the side, then you see faint stain marks." he made a jump and stayed alive once they all followed him the timer was now around one minute.

"another hint, the sound. the tempered glass is made at a heat over 700 degrees. pound on it with a hammer and it rings clearer than normal glass." 

"why wasnt all this brought up earlier? if you had led everybody from-" gi-hun asked the guy.

"why would I? the players up here tried to kill us at every chance."

all of a sudden the light went out on the side they were working on. one last stone was left. "what's wrong?" sangwoo questioned the man who looked like he was shuddering. "what's the problem?"

"I cant tell them apart in the dark."

"all right, which one? you need to choose now."

"I need to listen to the sound." he announced to them. "you got anything to throw?"

after he threw the marble gi-hun had passed down he wasnt able to hear the glass clearly. "I need to hear the right one, so I can be sure."

with twenty seconds on the clock sangwoo had pushed the man from the glass platform making yujin cover her eyes, the way sangwoo didn't look like he cared.

after everyone made it safe onto the red carpet platform the timer ringed the glass stones all exploded like a bomb some pieces of glass getting into their face even their body parts.

we are getting closer to the end.

have you guys read lover like me?