33: Sunday Funday

[A/N] Song for this chapter is Invincible by Kelly Clarkson because I think it matches Callie's change from Chapter 1 to now.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sunday night, the door bell rings as I'm finishing up some last minute homework. A sense of déjà vu floods over me, and I half-expect my mother to be on the other side of the door like she was over a month ago. That's the reason why I made my dad answer the door.

"Oh, Andrew, welcome," my dad greets. I hear footsteps round the corner and look over to see Aaron sporting shorter hair and a new-looking, black leather jacket. He looks fresh and fierce. 

"Sir, it's Aaron," he says, flashing me a quick smile.

"Oh, that's right. Callie talks about you so much that I surprise myself when I get your name wrong," he laughs, sitting back down on the couch with a grunt. 

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, sure, whatever you say, dad."

"You want to watch football with me again, son?" my dad asks, turning on the television.

"Actually, sir, I'm taking Callie on a date tonight," Aaron answers casually.

A date with Aaron? Well, that's news to me.

"Okay, be back by ten. It's a school night," my dad warns.

"Yeah, okay, bye," I yell as I pass by Aaron to slip on my coat, shoving my phone into my pocket. We head out the door and walk to his car. I open the passenger door and sit down, slamming the door closed. Aaron does the same from the driver's side.

"Where are we going?" I ask as he starts up the car.

A smile forms on his lips. "Somewhere."

"So it's going to be a secret?"

"Maybe."

Aaron pulls out onto the road, the tires of his car rolling silently on the smooth street. "Well, your hair looks nice, by the way."

"Thank you, babe," he says, glancing at me and winking. I blush a deep shade of red, and I'm thankful that the darkness conceals my face.

We don't really say all that much for the rest of the journey. When we arrive at the mystery location, I realized that we are at the local rec center. I used to come here all the time when I was younger to play on the swings and shoot hoops on the basketball court. This was actually where Shay and I became friends, too.

Aaron parks the car, and we walk over to the playground, hand in hand. His palm and fingers are bigger than mine, but somehow, our hands fit together like two puzzle pieces. It's cliche, I know, but it feels so good to have someone to lean on.

I take a seat on the cold swing. Aaron stands behind me, gently pushing me. "Why did you bring me here?" I ask.

"Because I wanted some alone time with you," he replies, pushing me higher and harder. The frigid wind rushes around me and flings my hair everywhere. Eventually, my fingers become cold and hard to bend, and I force Aaron to slow me down.

"I'm cold," I say, sniffling as Aaron walks around me so I can see him. He motions for me to get up, and we switch places.

"C'mere, sit," he demands, patting his lap. I comply by sitting on his lap, facing him. Straddling his legs, I hold onto the chains of the swing for support. Aaron wraps arms around my back, keeping me from falling. "My beautiful girl," he smiles, eyes searching my face.

"Hello, southern gentleman," I laugh.

"I was going to tell you something important, but you totally ruined it."

"What was it? Hmm?"

A boyish grin appears on his face as he whispers in my ear. The words come out in warm, little puffs of air. "That I love you."

He plants a kiss right under my ear, his cheek brushing mine. The action makes my whole body hot with adrenaline, and I can hear my heart beating faster than normal. As he pulls away, I get the sudden urge to show him how much I love him... and I run with it.

In one quick movement, I wrap my arms around his neck and match his lips with mine. Sucking gently on the soft, pink skin of his lips, a wave of euphoria crashes over me. My heart skips a beat when his tongue slides into my mouth as I take another breath. His mouth tastes of mint and fruity gum, and I don't think I'll ever get enough of the taste.

I pull away first, pressing my forehead against his. "I love you, too."

"It sounds so good to hear those words," he replies, kissing my forehead. "Now, let's get you somewhere warm. Your hands are freezing.

* * * * *

"Callie, don't fall asleep on me," Shay says, nudging me with her arm as we sit in Math class. I jolt awake, confused and disoriented. "Did you not get enough sleep last night or something?"

Honestly, I didn't. I tried to go to bed earlier than usual, but I simply couldn't fall asleep. Aaron was on my mind all night.

"I'm fine, now what were you saying?" I ask, rubbing my eyes. Luke chuckles, and I don't feel bad for not even recognizing that he was sitting in our group.

"We're all going to prank Zander and his cronies after school," Luke says nicely.

I look at him skeptically, wondering what motive is behind the good-guy facade. "Why are you acting so nice? Are you afraid that you're going to get coal in your stocking for Christmas or something?"

"I'm always nice to you," he smiles, holding his Shay's hand on top of the table. Ah, I get it. He's trying to impress his girlfriend, or at least show her that he respects her friends.

"PDA is not permitted in my classroom," Mr. Daniels says as he finishes a problem on the white board. How in the world did he see that if his back is to us?

Shay turns a deep shade of red, but Luke, being the rebel he is, slides their hands off the table and keeps them clasped under the wooden surface. I would call the action cute, but that would indirectly be calling Luke cute, and Luke is anything but that.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[A/N] Well I think Luke is a cutie but apparently Callie doesn't think so. Lol