Chapter 2 : Another breakup.

Ji-Hyun P.O.V

No one ever bothers to tell you what happens after you've given your all and it's still not enough. I'd read enough self-help books to fill a swimming pool, highlighted every positive platitude, and I had yet to find the solution for my situation.

In fact, every morning, I woke up hoping that the past few years of my life were a cruel and twisted joke. I desperately wanted to believe that I never fell face-first onto the ice in competition, or that I never lost several months of my life while being confined to a hospital bed, forever missing out on the chance to beat my mother's iconic medal record.

Shake it off, Hyun. Shake it off.

I focused my attention on the twelve uneven 'We-Made-it-Six-Months' cupcakes that were currently cooling on my kitchen counter. They looked like something out of a horror novel, all cracked open with a burnt spot at their centers.
This was my 4th and final attempt.

Bing! Bing! Bing!

The timer suddenly sounded, and I pulled a tray of sauce from the oven. After setting it on the counter, I picked up my phone and called my boyfriend, Daehyun.

"Hey there, Gorgeous," he answered on the first ring.
"Hey. The timer went off on your sauce. Do you want me to pour it over the noodles?"
"No, let it sit out for a minute. I'm looking for one last garnish, so I'll be back in 10 minutes or so." He paused. "I'm sorry I wasn't better prepared to meet your family today."
"No worries. There's no rush." I ended the call and checked the time.

As usual, Jimin was 'the-world-revolves-around-my-ego' late, so Dae could probably take another hour before he arrived. Out of all the boyfriends I'd ever had, Dae was by far the most sympathetic and caring. He never said things like, "Things happen for a reason," "Maybe that career-ending fall was meant to be." He let me vent and cry whenever it crossed my mind. Never told me that it was time to move on. Jimin did the same, of course, but he didn't count. He was a constant character in my life's novel; Dae was an entirely new chapter.

I waited a few minutes before scrolling down to Jimin's name and hitting call.

"Yes, Jihyun?" he answered.
"Where the hell are you?"
"Around the corner from your brownstone."