Chapter 2

Throughout the day, I met each and every one of my family members. Marcellius wasn't kidding about how extended the Fierri family was.

I found it strange that I had a nephew who was almost five years older than I was. But I bet he thought it was even stranger to have an aunt that was younger than him.

When I met Mrs. Fierri, I immediately apologized to her for my father's adultery. I was expecting her to yell at me, or insult my mother, but she only smiled and welcomed me to the family.

After dinner, which I thoroughly enjoyed not just because the food was amazing, but because I got to experience my first real family dinner, I grabbed my briefcase and got ready to leave.

I was almost out the door when I was stopped by Marcellius. "Going somewhere?" He arched a brow, his head tilted slightly to the right.

"I made reservations at a hotel. I wouldn't want to be a burden." I glanced down at the pack of children running by, then looked back up at him. "Besides," I said with a chuckle, "this is a pretty full house."

"You can bunk with me," Valeria said with a smile. "I wouldn't mind the company," she continued. "I don't really like sleeping alone."

She was one of the first people I met. I learned she was Luciano's fiancée and is the mother of their little girl Luna. And although not a very talkative person, she's super kind.

"Sure," I replied, looking at my brother. "If Marcel doesn't mind."

He shook his head. "Not at all. I'd rather you stay here where I can keep you safe anyway."

Keep me safe?

He was gone before I could ask him what he meant by that.

Valeria's voice tugged me from my thoughts. "Come on. I'll show you where you'll be staying."

Following her down a hall covered in the same black and white colors as the rest of the house, she paused in front of a door and opened it to a room large enough for an entire family to sleep in.

She stepped inside, walked over to the neatly made bed and sat down. "It used to be Luciano's room."

I passed by his dresser, eyeing the pictures of Luciano when he and my brothers were younger. A picture of them gathered around a young child in a crib catches my attention.

Picking it up, I glanced over at Valeria. "Who's this?"

"You," she answered. "Your mother and Mama Fierri used to spend Christmases together, so you could be closer to your brothers."

"Really? Mama Fierri wasn't uncomfortable around my mother?"

She shrugged. "She never felt her hurt and anger should be projected onto the kids. You and your brothers were always her first priority."

"I see." I set the picture back down. "So," I said, leaning against the dresser and crossing my arms over my chest. "What was Luciano like?"

Valeria immediately lit up, a smile forming on her lips at the mention of my late brother. Her eyes glazed over, the memories she had of my brother flooding her mind.

"He was a sweetheart. The rare kind." Her smile widened. "There wasn't anyone quite like Luciano Fierri. He was a doctor, who loved caring for others. And his brothers absolutely adored him."

Her smile faded, her lips curling down into a saddened frown. "It breaks my heart everyday knowing Luna will never be able to truly know her father. I see so much of him in her." Her smile returned, as she shook her head and chuckled. "She's the spitting image of him."

I met Luna earlier while she was playing with her cousins. She's really advanced for a nine year old. And if she has dreams of becoming a medical doctor like her father, then she'll make a great one. Luciano would be very proud.

"Cesare told me that he had a bit of a stutter."

Valeria nodded. "Sì(yes). And he absolutely hated it. Your father treated him like shit because of it."

I frowned hearing about what an asshole my father had been to Luciano for something I'm sure frustrated the hell out of him.

I should know. I too had a bit of a stutter. But it only makes an appearance when I'm nervous or upset.

"I'm so sorry to hear that."

"It's okay." She shrugged. "He's more man than that asshole will ever be."

I smiled at that. I wish I could have met Luciano. He seems like he would have had the best conversations and hugs.

Valeria pointed to the right side of the dresser. "There are pajama shirts and pants for you to wear. We're pretty much the same size, so they should fit."

Thanking her, I opened the drawer and pulled out a white tank top and black shorts that had my cheeks peeking out of the bottoms.

After shoving my briefcase under the bed, I joined her in the bed. Yawning, she slipped in between the covers and I tugged it up and over our bodies.

I've never had a sister either, and being with Valeria, oddly enough, felt like we've known each other for years.

"Was my father always like that?" I asked, wanting to continue our conversation.

I didn't know a thing about my family and I had many many unanswered questions actively floating around in my head.

"There wasn't a time when he wasn't. Though some days, which was pretty rare, you'd see a side of him that for a moment, made Luciano and his brothers believe Giovanni to be the best father in the world."

"My mother said that he was the sweetest man she'd ever met. And that he loved me dearly."

"I'm sure he did," Valeria said with a scoff. "Even with all four brothers having been made in his image, he probably never loved them like he did his innocent little girl. He corrupted them, made them out to be monsters in their own way."

Hearing Valeria talk about the monster my father was, made me realize that maybe I had been lucky enough not to have met him.

"Marcel was the disciplinary, a miniature Giovanni," she continued, a bitter tone in her voice. "Nic became his torturous killing machine. Cesare was the most clean and efficient killer of his brothers. And Luciano, well, he got the scraps."

She sighed. "Which is relief considering how well he turned out. He became the brains and the glue that kept this family together. Without him, they wouldn't be the loving, compassionate brothers, who valued family, trust, and loyalty."

I shuddered at the thought of having met the Mafia side of my brothers. I've interacted with plenty of Mafia leaders, and people who worked for them, and not one appears as humane as them.

"You're very lucky to have brothers like them. Luna has a family because of them. I have a family because of them. And I am very grateful for that."

The look on her face said it all. I don't know what she went through in her life, but I can tell that she never wants to go back.

"Do you mind if I ask you a question?"

I gave my head a shake. "Affatto. Chiedi via(Not at all. Ask away)."

"What's in the briefcase? I've noticed how close you keep it at your side."

"A sniper," I admitted.

She didn't react like I expected her to. And then I remembered that she had not only been engaged to a man who was in the Mafia, but she's surrounded by it daily. A sniper is nothing new to her.

She yawned, sinking further down into the sheets and comforter. "You should show me some time. I'm pretty skilled with a gun myself."

I nodded. "Sure."