Chapter 20 - It Doesn't Exist (But You Don't Know What's Real Either)

Chapter 20

It Doesn't Exist (But You Don't Know What's Real Either)

Lucy could see the top of the church over the thick layer of trees.

"Should we just," Gray shrugged, eyebrows raised. "Like, kick the door in?"

Erza shook her head after a second of thought, "No, sneaking in would give us a desirable advantage."

Natsu's eyes shinned at the revelation, "Sneaking?" he repeated, a grin slowly growing on his face.

"Yes, sneaking." was Erza's simple answer.

Natsu's fists curled into fists at his sides with excitement. Lucy just sighed.

"Natsu, you're not going to be the one 'sneaking in'." Lucy declared.

Erza nodded firmly and folded her arms over her chest sternly, "I agree. Natsu, you're not coming in until later." she said.

Natsu whined loudly, "What! Why? That's not fair, I can be stealthy!"

Erza's steely eyes looked over him, "I believe you're confusing the meaning of the word 'stealth'. You, Natsu, are the opposite of stealth."

Natsu huffed, and Lucy sighed, "Am not! You don't know what you're talking about."

Erza glared at his stubbornness which made Natsu take an unconscious step back, "Stealth requires patience and quiet, neither of which you possess."

"She got you there, Ash for brains," Gray laughed mockingly.

Natsu growled angerly and shoved Gray not-so-nonchalantly. Gray rightened himself onto his feet before diving into a punch, which then started a mini-slap war, which somehow resulted in Natsu being knocked off his feet. Erza huffed, a small smile gracing her lips despite her efforts to look annoyed. Lucy watched them all quietly, feeling a weird, preserve sense of affection for them.

Gray finally threw his hands up in defeat, "Whatever! Let's just storm the place!"

Erza and Lucy just sighed.

They slowly walked up the main pathway. The air felt humid around them, her clothes sticking to her skin, uncomfortably, noticing how the grey grass fluttered apart in small pieces, like ash, as they stepped onto the stone-way that led to the church doors.

"Sneaking definitely wouldn't have worked; the building is practically all holes," Gray muttered from behind her.

Lucy hummed in acknowledgement and glanced around her. The church looked old, old enough that Lucy wouldn't be surprised that it'd been abandoned way before the battle started.

Despite of its age and the multitude of holes, the building remained standing, rising high up into the sky, patterns of great detail coating every corner of the building. The windows were of different shapes, from one huge window in the middle of the building, right over the entrance door, to small, round windows that Lucy imagined was placed on every side of the building.

Lucy stared at the three bells at the very top of the church. They looked dusty, even from where she stood, but still, they gleamed a brilliant gold. She tilted her head at the buildings beauty, beyond confused over its abandonment. Her eyes trailed down to the entrance, huge, wooden double doors. She looked over her shoulder to her teammates and counted the last steps to opening of the church. The double doors diminished her height next to them, and she hesitantly began placing her hand onto one of the handles.

The bells suddenly started to ring. Lucy stopped dead in her tracks, her hand stopped, hovering over the handle. Her eyes were wide, and looking to her friends, she could imagine her expression mirrored theirs. The trees were still around them, not even a gust of wind to make them sway, nevertheless, huge, heavy bells. She haltingly took a few backward steps away from the door, her ears ringing with the sound of the combined bells. Her eyes fell onto the golden bells.