It could be worse

Quinn isn't ashamed of her life.
Sure, you might look at it and think 'what is there to be proud of?'

But Quinn is happy. She's escaped from her family, from her small town. She's in New York. Her job might not be what she imagined in high school, but it could be a lot worse. As long as she never sees anyone she knows.

So of course Santana Lopez just has to walk into the club, head held high, and ask for their best dancer.
Quinn tries to disappear behind the curtain, but Holly, her boss, summons her over.

Quinn is suddenly very aware of how little her outfit covers. And, of course, the expression on Santana's face. She wants to hide away from it all. But Holly is talking, and she makes herself listen to what she is saying, while avoiding eye contact with Santana.

"....yes, Miss Fabray dances for private events. The price will be slightly higher..."
"That's not a problem, ma'am." Santana cuts in. As if she already didn't look rich, from the red soles of her heels. Holly just looks her up and down, then turns to face Quinn.
"Q, you okay with this?"

Quinn really isn't sure. God knows why Santana is even hiring a stripper in the first place. Unless it's a weird thing her and Brittany are trying...
No. Don't even put that in your head, Quinn Fabray.

But on the other hand, she needs the money. Like, really needs it.

"I'll take it."
"Okay. Well, if you want to step into my office Miss Lopez, I'll get the contract for you to sign. Quinn, when does your shift finish?"
"Like 5 minutes ago. I'll get changed, then I'll sign the contract."
"Great. This way Miss Lopez."

Quinn showers, and gets dressed in jeans and a tank, with a flannel over the top. Wiping the remains of her makeup off her cheeks, she looks so much younger than 20. She looks at herself in the mirror for a second. Until she drags her eyes away, before the torrent of self-hatred surfaces.

She goes into Holly's office. Thankfully Santana has gone, leaving behind a cloud of her perfume. It's the same as the one she used back in high school.

"You seem a little off Quinn. Is everything okay?" Holly asks. Quinn just nods. Holly takes good care of her girls. She makes sure that they eat, and they have somewhere to stay each night. And if anyone tries any funny business, then they soon wish that they hadn't even though about it.

Holly knows the vague outline of Quinn's situation, but none of the details. Quinn prefers to keep it that way. It's safer.

"Yes. I just..Santana was at school with me."
"Enemies?"
"Best friends actually." Quinn says wistfully. Holly mulls over this new information.
"Well, it'll be nice to see each other again." She says. Quinn just finishes signing her name and shrugs
"It could go either way. Bye Holly."
"Bye Quinn. Enjoy the rest of your night."

Quinn barely stifles a laugh. As if.

She steps out of the building, and walks straight into none other than Santana Lopez.
"Shit, sorry. Wait, Quinn?" Santana grabs her arm. Quinn is quick to pull it back.
"Not now, Santana. I need to go."
"Where are you staying? I'll walk you."
"It's kind of far away. Just go back to your hotel."
"I'm supposed to be bunking with Lady Hummel. Please, spare me."
"Ugh. Look, I have no room in my apartment. And I'm late."
"For what? Is it past your bedtime?"

Quinn just rolls her eyes and pushes past Santana, walking down the street. Santana rolls her eyes, then chases her.
"Look, I'm sorry. But can we at least talk? While you're walking?"
"As long as it doesn't slow us down."
"Fine. What have you even got to be in a rush for?"

Quinn doesn't reply. Santana keeps pace with her.

"I didn't know you danced." Santana says, after a few minutes of walking in silence. Quinn shrugs
"I'm not the best, but it's good enough."