Bubblegum

Quinn sits alone in her childhood treehouse. Her knees tucked beneath her, a battered ukulele in her once-manicured hands.
"Sorry I didn't kiss you."
She sings softly, her face illuminated by the moon.

She strums each chord perfectly, her pale fingers moving effortlessly. The song begins to shape, becomes something beautiful. Anyone listening would stop, and let the music surround them.

"But it's obvious I wanted to."
She thinks of the girl she wanted to kiss. The girl with the pink lips, the brown eyes. The laugh that was sweeter than any music she's heard before.

"Bubblegum down my throat, and it's a curse"
The girl always had bubblegum in her pocket. Any flavour, any brand. That's when Quinn started to fall in love with her. And, what a curse it was.

"But my luck couldn't get any worse."
She knew it was dangerous to fall in love with her. But, really, what did she have to lose?

"Cause I swallowed the bubblegum"
Quinn thinks back to the strawberry flavoured gum-her favourite. How she had swallowed it by surprise when the girl almost kissed her.

"Oh, and these seven years will be pretty dumb."
How after, she had gone home, and thrown her hairbrush at the mirror in her room. It had shattered, showering her and her room in shards of glass, like a deadly snow. Seven years of bad luck.

"Pink flowers grow from my skin"
But she had gone back to the girl, and the scars from the glass eventually healed. She felt happier. Prettier.

"Pepto-Bismol veins, and I grin."
Being with her felt like a dream. Relief, from the pain of the world. They didn't do much except from talk. But that's all Quinn needed to do.

"You look so nice in your shirt."
Quinn wanted the girl to know she loved her. But she couldn't find the words, so she settled for compliments that didn't mean anything, yet at the same time meant everything.

"It's sad because it just hurts."
All Quinn wanted was to be loved. But the girl didn't seem to love her back. And it broke her.

"I'd do anything for you."
She had come out to her mom, because the girl wanted to know that Quinn meant it. It was terrifying. Quinn's mom hadn't reacted well. Quinn thinks of the bruise on her cheek she had received.

"But would you do that for me, too?"
The girl had lied to Quinn. They were both going to come out. But the girl hadn't. Quinn was alone. She felt betrayed, but her stupid heart was still in love.

"Cause I swallowed the bubblegum"
Quinn had fallen in love with a girl. And she was trying to live without her, but she was always there.

"Oh, and these seven years will be pretty dumb, oh"
A new mirror hung on the wall, the broken one in the bin. Quinn wonders, does this reverse the bad luck? Or make it worse.

"Oh, pink flowers grow from my skin."
Quinn learns to live without her. The scars from the mirror are gone. She meets another girl, who doesn't demand anything from her. She hates bubblegum.

"Oh, Pepto-Bismol veins, and I grin"
The girl makes her laugh. Quinn forgets her pain for a little while, when she's with her. She knows nothing lasts forever, but that's life. She learns how to smile again. To love again.

Quinn strums the last chord. She wipes the tears falling down her face.
It's sad because it just hurts.

Song~Bubblegum by Clairo