CHAPTER 8

Going back to my seat, I am no longer comfortable. I am dishing out fake smiles only. I know I still have to introduce Ndabe to everyone but now I am just so nervous. I am sweating like crazy. Londy comes and sits next to me. I wipe my sweaty hands on my dress and she gives me a quizzical look. I shake my head and look at the artist who is performing. Ahlelelwe comes running to me.

"Mommy Yamihle spilled juice on my dress. But she is just a baby, so I am not mad at her." I smile.

"You can wear the clothes you were wearing earlier on."

"They are in daddy's car. Where is he anyway?" she looks around.

"He is inside the house. When he comes out, you can ask him to fetch those clothes for you."

"So when are we cutting the cake?" she asks adorably and I laugh.

"Hello princess." Bhut Sizwe says standing in front of me. The look he is giving me right now, I wish the ground can open a big hole swallow me. Ahlelelwe turns and goes to hug him. "Why didn't you come and greet me?"

"Why didn't you come and greet me?" she imitates him and we laugh.

"Where is your father?"

"Mommy said he is inside the house." He frowns looking at both Londy and I.

"Who is mommy?"

"Daddy." Ahlelelwe screams walking to Ndabe who is chatting with Soma and bhut Luvuyo. Bhut Sizwe gives us an intimidating look and then walks away.

"You're in deep shit." Londy says and hands me bottled water. I need it. In fact I need a whole 2l because I feel like I am going to pass out.

"Attention everyone!" Zethembe says in the mic. I didn't even know she was here. She waves at me and I wave back. "I have appointed myself as an MC because I can see this is getting out of control." Everyone laughs. "So we are just going to ask just these four ladies to come up the stage and say a few words to the expecting mother. 1 minute each. Mrs. L Sithole, Mrs. T. Mnguni, Mrs. Muller and Mrs. N Mnguni. Just a few words. Don't get too emotional." We laugh once again.

"Dakota I just wanna say I love you so much but baby Gram is going to decrease that love because I will love her more." Sis Lwah says and I giggle. "Motherhood is no walk in the park, especially when you don't have someone to help you with the baby. I am talking about a life partner not a nanny. But I pray that you find your special someone soon, so that he can change the diapers." We laugh once again. I look at Ndabe and he just shrugs laughing.

"Baby Gram is lucky to have you as a mother and we will make sure that he or she knows just how lucky he or she is. I will borrow you the twins for a week, just so you can practice on them." Sis Thandeka says and I laugh. I love them, I really do but they are so chaotic and problematic, especially now that they have started walking. They are also so naughty. You never leave them alone in a room unattended because you will probably find it upside down.

"I gave birth to 4 beautiful children but God decided to bless me with a white child a few years ago." MaKhanyi says and I smile. She is so warm and kind and caring. You cant help but love her because what's there to hate on her. "Motherhood is tough my baby. From the moment you give birth to Gram, everything will be about Gram. You will even forget to wash your hair, but cosmetics or even spoil yourself because every time you go to a store, you will just think about Gram before anything else and before you know it, your life will revolve around Gram. Ingane yama 2k, yini nje u Gram?" we all laugh. "I just hope and pray that you don't lose yourself to motherhood and that you become a good mother to your child. You know how I feel about you. No need to say it in front of all these people." Everyone laughs once again.