Chapter 9: Smoke Break

Ren conducts Rey's job interview in the car on the way to the town hall. He's got her off speakerphone for the job-related discussion, holding his phone to his ear with his shoulder. But once that's done, he turns on speakerphone and moves the receiver closer to me so I can say hi.

"Heyyy," I drawl excitedly.

"Hey, big shot. Damn, your boy fucking grilled— wait, am I still on speaker?" Rey panics.

"Yes! Yes, dummy!" I say with a laugh, looking over at Ren as he snickers to himself.

"Oh. Well, superb job interview. Best I've ever had. Let it be known that Kylo Ren will be the best congressman this nation has ever seen."

"Cut the shit, babe. But from what I heard, you did great. I miss you."

"I miss you! Oh, that actually reminds me. Poe's been trying to get in touch with you. You should call him back before he, like, tracks you down." I hear Ren scoff quietly next to me. I look over at him, puzzled.

Wait, shit. I forgot to call Poe back this morning.

"Thanks for reminding me. Been busy, is all."

"Well, good thing you're not back home. We'd have you block walking in those brand new Manolos," Rey teases.

My eyes go wide. I shoot Ren a look that says, 'how could I not tell my best friend that you bought me tens of thousands of dollars worth of shit? ' All he does is smirk and shake his head.

"Anyway," Rey continues after she notices brief silence on the other end, "Call Poe. Now pass me back to Ren, please."

"Ren, you take good care of her. Give her as many smoke breaks as she wants..." Ren whips his head toward me, scornful smile growing on his face. "And definitely keep buying her—"

"HEY! Can it!" I interrupt.

"Rey? You're making my campaign manager blush. Also, you've got the job. Head to the office next week and Vic on our team will bring you up to speed."

"Not so fast, big guy. Salary?"

He pauses, thinking a bit. "95."

With that, he hangs up before Rey's celebratory yelling bursts our ear drums. In his haste, his phone slips out of his hand, and he begins to leans down to pick it up, swerving off the road a little.

"Ren!" I holler. "You're gonna get us fucking killed. Keep your eyes on the road. Let me get it."

I lean down, blindly fishing around the floorboard on his side for his phone. It must have slid under the seat. Because of fucking course. I feel around farther and farther back, nearly my whole torso folded over Ren's knee. It's then that I realize that my head's hovering over his fucking lap. Arm tucked between his huge thighs. I huff in desperation, willing the phone to suddenly appear so I can sit back up before I actually start blowing him.

"Having fun down there?" Ren observes, probably—hopefully— enjoying the view of me from above. Suddenly, the fucker taps the brakes, causing me to jolt backward toward him from the force, the side of my head hitting his abdomen. Thankfully, the phone slides toward my hand.

I shoot up, jumping back into my seat, smacking him on the arm.

"Sorry."

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I seethe. "You could've cracked my neck! What— do you get off to doing shit like this?" I stare at his side profile incredulously.

He murmurs my name. "With all due respect, you have no idea what I get off to." My stomach positively twists at that. I'd love to find out. But only after I strangle him for his reckless driving.