Chapter 25: Wear a Skirt

HELLO :) :) LOVE YOU ALL HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS CHAPTER :) :) :) HAPPY FRIDAY BTW 
IT'S 3:15AM RIGHT NOW AND MY VISION IS FUCKED UP FROM STARING AT MY COMPUTER WRITING THIS. I KNOW THAT A LOT GOES ON IN THIS CHAPTER BUT I'M JUST SO PUMPED LOL

ALSO here's the SPICY version of my Shameful Spotify playlist! It's called "Shameful but SPICY"-- mostly a hodgepodge of songs I listen to when I'm writing the sexier parts of this story. 

 display name: readshameful. 
link: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3At0SXhc2oMBC5bNM8GAbE?si=a97e6ffa4e804b64

---

Again, it's fucking cold in D.C.

If Ren thinks I'm going to show up to the office in a tennis skirt, he's deeply mistaken, I think to myself as I pull a cream cashmere fitted turtleneck over my head– a perfect match for the The Row cashmere skirt I'd picked out. The garment falls way past my knees, but the flattering fit makes it look more 70s MILF than 70-year-old Mormon. I pair it all with the Chloè boots from yesterday, and fasten large gold hoops in my ears.

I rush through the biting cold to meet Rey out front of our office building, fumbling for my ID badge. A different kind of chill sweeps through me the closer I get – one of anticipation. I get to see Kylo Ren again. And every day after that.

"We're early today," Rey remarks, her teeth chattering slightly.

"Morning! Indeed, we are."

"Cute skirt."

"Thanks..." I respond skeptically, noting that she hasn't made any moves to head inside.

"I know this is unlike me, but..." she starts, stuffing her hands into her coat pockets. "Can we smoke a ciggy real quick? Did you bring any?"

"Sure did," I respond with humor, feeling around my tote for my pack. "What gives?"

"I didn't sleep too hot last night. Iris and I downed a bottle of cheap red after she got done studying. I feel like dog shit. Also, smoking is, like, a thing around here."

I peek around, noticing that there truly are clusters of folks huddled around the area, puffing hurriedly on their cigarettes before they start work for the day.

I clasp her on the shoulder affectionately and lead her down the steps to lean against the giant Majesty of Law statue. We both gaze out into the courtyard in comfortable silence as we smoke, watching interns hurry into the building, disheveled and nervous. After a couple of minutes, I hear a deep voice to my left.

"Bad girls. Playing hooky this morning?"

Rey and I both twist our heads toward the sound, seeing Ren in a sexy worn-leather blouson jacket.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Rey stub her cigarette out directly onto the statue, letting the butt fall onto the ground so she can smash it excessively with her foot.

The raw chill in the air has turned parts of Ren's pale, freckled face a rosy pink, especially the tip of his nose. He looks just as warm as he does cold. The wind carries his spicy, slightly sweet cologne toward me, enveloping me in the sumptuous fragrance. I want to burrow into his chest. I'm too caught up in him to notice that the cigarette that was hanging dully between my lips is now between his.

He takes a smooth puff, narrowing his eyes at me before he exhales quickly out his nose and tosses the cigarette onto the ground to extinguish it.

"Smoking on the job," he taunts. "That's what I'm paying you two for?"

I playfully roll my eyes in response, rifling through my tote again and producing a small vial of perfume to choke out the rancid cigarette stench from my clothes.