Chapter 16: Complicated

hey ppl hope this chapter rids you of your sunday scaries!!

After the rest of the small crew files in, Vanessa finally settles on staging the shoot in the main area, rather than Ren's office. I rush off to my desk to get some work done, insistent on doing something to clear my head. I send out a quick blast to volunteers, check in with our field team, and take a couple calls with vendors for our big fundraiser coming up. I'm so plugged in and eager to work after having been gone for so long, that I've almost forgotten about what's going on around me... almost.

I strain to block out Vanessa's shrill voice that's consistently bouncing off the walls of the hallway, and somehow manage to finish up the last of my outstanding tasks. I take a deep breath and crack my neck, shutting my laptop and holding it under my arm, easing toward the main office.

I immediately clock Vicrul sat at his desk with amused, slightly incredulous smile on his face. His eyes finally meet mine and his smile grows, shaking his head. He's clearly been enjoying the show in my absence.

I step toward the coffee station to fix myself an Americano, hiding a smirk. I can already tell that Vanessa's doing an absolutely piss-poor job getting everything set up — the bitch is practically floundering. I turn around to lean against the counter, arms crossed, head cocked to feign relaxation. I take a leisurely sip of my coffee once it's ready.

Ren is perched on a stool in the middle of the office, practically blinded by the light box placed right in front of him. He shifts in his seat, looking impatient. Vanessa is running around frantically, ordering the crew around and rifling through her bag.

"Hope you don't mind me watching, Vanessa—" Everyone's heads turn toward me at that moment. "Let me know if you need an extra hand with anything. Looks like you're having a tough go of it."

Ren swivels entirely toward me in the stool, looking visibly grateful that I walked in. I blink slowly at him, turning my eyes back to Vanessa.

"I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing here, but thanks!" she hits back. I take another slow sip of my Americano. "I just..." she continues, "forgot to charge my voice recorder."

I knit my brows in fake sympathy, setting my coffee down next to me. "Aww, rookie mistake! It's your lucky day, though. I've got a spare on in my office."

She looks irritated. "Awesome," she mutters, making no moves to go grab it.

"My office is next to Ren's. It's in the second drawer of the filing cabinet. You can go fetch it, right? Do you need my help with that, too?" I wrinkle my nose.

She blinks. "Oh. No, I got it."

I drink from my coffee cup again, watching her walk past me through my lashes. Once she's in my office, I can hear her grunt in frustration. I take this chance to saunter toward Vicrul and Ren.

Ren's watching me intently, smoothing his palms on his jeans. Another crew member walks up to him with a lint roller.

"Thank you," he murmurs to me. He looks like a lost puppy, totally out of his element.

"History?" is all I say in response.

He gives me a look of desperation, sighing. "It's really nothing. I'll explain later once—"

"Ren, you don't need to explain anything to me. You're my boss— simple as that." With that, I walk toward Vicrul's desk, pulling up a chair to sit alongside him.

"She's dumb as shit. This is so funny to watch— like how much can you possibly fuck up a little interview and photoshoot?" he whispers to me, and I cackle loudly in response.