Fireworks

Bakugo's POV

Blasting through the trees, I narrowly avoided hitting one of them as I played a game of tag with freaking Quirkless. I'd been teaching her how to fly all week long. And now, on our sixth day of camp, she was finally starting to get the hang of it. And it was about time too! I was beginning to think I was a horrible teacher. 

Looking over my shoulder, I noticed her quickly gaining on me. A flash of purple threatened to put an end to my winning streak.

I suggested the game of tag in the woods as a sort of graduation ceremony since it would help iron out the last few wrinkles in her speed and maneuverability. After all, you know what they say about killing two birds with one stone. 

One more glance behind me. Quirkless was closer now, but I still had the upper hand. I was a much better flyer than some fresh off-the-beat newbie.

We'd been playing since this morning, but Quirkless had yet to catch me. I've been cooped up in these woods with quirkless for eleven hours. Actually, that's about how it's been all week long. From when the sun came up until the sun went down, it was just her and me. I'd say I hated every second of it, but that would be a lie. 

Every moment that I had her to myself was- Well, to be honest, I don't really know what it was, but it felt good. I still yelled at her a lot, and she was definitely one of the most aggravating people I've ever met, but something about Quirkless stuck with me. Something about her pissed me off and excited me at the same time.

The next time I turned around, she wasn't there.

Crap, how long has she been gone?

I came to a screeching halt and analyzed my surroundings carefully. That freaking extra was always thinking up a sneaky new move on the fly. I shouldn't go any further into the woods until I've found her. I wouldn't want to fly into a trap.

Where-

"Gah," I grunted in mostly surprise, but there was some pain too.

I tumbled across the ground, arms tightening around me and refusing to let go. Eventually, Quirkless and I skidded to a stop bumping into a tree. I hovered over her, but her arms squeezed me with crazy physical strength.

"I got you." She beamed up at me, stirring a flush in my cheeks.

"It's about freaking time, loser."

She replaced her smile with her usual cool, calm, and collected smirk. "Don't be a sore loser, Pretty Boy; it's not a good look on you."

"You don't have any good looks."

"Are you calling me ugly?"

"Supremely ugly." Without being consciously aware of it, I inched closer to her. "The ugliest."

"Mmm, well, you should have a look at yourself." She angled her face up as she spoke, and I could feel her breath on my face because of it. "You've got me beat by at least a few dozen broken mirrors."

"Tch."

For the first time in my life, I didn't feel like retaliating. I only felt my need for her. I rubbed circles on her cheek, pinching strands of her loose hair in my fingers.  When she didn't stop me, I leaned in to kiss her. Our noses brushed, but nearly as soon as they did, Quirkless pushed me away.

Swiftly, she rose to her feet and took a few steady breaths. I watched her walk away from me, suddenly remembering about her and Four Eyes.

"I- I shouldn't have done that-" I started, only to be interrupted.

"Shouldn't have done what? We're just training." She laughed nervously, brushing her fingers through her windblown hair.

"Yeah, whatever."