Two Ways

Iylla's POV

"Okay, I know I said this yesterday, but I really don't want to go to class today," I told Tenya, picking up my backpack despite what I said. "Please, let me skip."

Tenya's eyes softened, but he remained firm. "I know today is a hard day for you, but getting up and going to class and going through your usual routine might be helpful."

Today was the day of the year that I dreaded above every other day. It was the anniversary of Toya's death. Fifteen years now. Fifteen years of mourning, crying tears made out pure pain, and hopelessly wishing that things were different. 

"Tenya," I whined, already feeling the ocean of misery swelling within me. I waited for his approval because I wanted to know he wouldn't be mad at me if I skipped class, but then I remembered an older part of me who would hate the way I was acting. I don't need anyone to tell me what to do or how to do it. "Who says I need your permission anyway?"

"Well, I guess you don't, but I am the class representative." He said, bearing it like a badge of honor. 

"And? What are you going to about it, huh?"

Stunned, he stammered through a response. "I- uhh, I will have a stern lecture prepared for you. As class representative, not as your boyfriend. That's what I'll do."

He nodded once, judging his punishment to be sufficient. 

"Mmm."

Softening, he squished my face between his hands. "If it turns out to be too much for you, then you can leave early, but don't you think you should at least try?"

"Whatever," I groaned, swatting his hands away. "Let's just go."

The two of us made our way to the elevator, exiting on the bottom floor, the common area. As soon as the elevator doors opened, a heavenly smell wafted in. The smell danced around my nose, throwing my mind into overdrive.

Food.

I'd liked to say that I kept my composure, but I think I drooled in truth. I couldn't help it, the meaty aroma of the sizzling bacon, the cooking eggs, the perfect potatoes, and don't forget the sausages!

My feet followed the dreamy smell, but Tenya dragged me back to reality. His fingers circled my wrist, pulling me away from the kitchen.

"You already stole Bakugo's breakfast yesterday; maybe you should make your own today." His eyes squinted in delight, entertained. "We wouldn't want a repeat of yesterday."

Yesterday, when Tenya and I were leaving for class, Bakugo was in the kitchen cooking, and I may or may not have stolen his beautiful creation. In my defense, it was a delicious burrito. Anyway, as a result, Bakugo was not happy. He tracked me down, and let's say it took everything Tenya had to restrain a feral Bakugo and a mischievous me and leave it at that.

"But food," I drifted off toward the kitchen, but Tenya pulled on my arm again.

"Come on. I'll buy you something from the cafe."

"Ooh," I would have jumped for joy, but that wasn't my style. Instead, my eyes glazed over at the thought of having an overabundance of crepes in my possession. "Rich boyfriends. Gotta love em."

Laughing, he shook his head lovingly. "I don't know why you insist on emphasizing my parent's wealth; you are the same way. No, we're not the same; you're wealthier than me."

"Okay, but who acts richer?" I countered.

"How do you even act rich? I don't think a person can act rich."