The Attack on the Camp (Part Two)

Ida's POV

I paced back and forth by the window, anxiously awaiting any news. Mr. Aizawa had disappeared into the woods nearly forty minutes ago and hadn't returned since. Periodically, students emerged from the woods with messages from the number nine hero, but I had yet to hear anything pertaining to Iylla. The stress was just about enough to make me lose my head.

"For the last time: stay away from the windows." Mr. Vlad King, who had been watching over us since the attack began, placed a hand on my shoulder, steering me away from where I stood watch. "I know you're worried, but you need to stay calm."

"Yes, sir." Collapsing into a desk, I leaned heavily on my elbows, barely able to hold my head in my hands.

Where are you, Iylla? Why haven't you come back yet?

"You know... I'm starting to think Iylla and I aren't as good friends as I thought." Ojiro said, taking a seat next to me as Vlad King wandered off.

Turning my head, I was almost at a loss for words. "Why would you think that? You and Aoyama mean so much to her."

"I don't know; I guess I'm starting to realize just how much she lies to me." He sighed, a hurt look budding deep in his eyes. "She lied about your relationship for months, and she lied about being the League's target. And the worst part? I can't even tell if it was hard for her or not."

I wanted to offer him some respite and tell him that he was overthinking it, but I, more than anyone, knew just how much her lies could hurt. Honestly, when Iylla and I first started dating, whenever I caught her in a lie, I felt something similar to what Ojiro must be feeling. It took a while, but eventually, I got to a point where I thought I understood her better. Iylla lied for a different assortment of reasons. Most of the time, she was either too embarrassed to say what she meant, afraid of what the consequences of telling the truth would be, or didn't want to appear weak. In my experience, she rarely lied as a method of causing pain, so I knew that she wouldn't be happy with herself if she knew what Ojiro had confessed to me.

"I know what you mean, Ojiro, but you have to believe me: you are as essential to Iylla as breathing. I would even go as far as to say that she would brave the world for you."

Based on the way he stared into his desk, I knew that he didn't believe me. I wanted to say something more, but I didn't have the chance.

"Mr. Vlad!" Mina yelled, pointing toward the windows from across the room. "It's Iylla!"

I was on my feet faster than I could register what Mina had said. Despite previous warnings, I ran to the window with my fellow classmates.

"Stay here!" Vlad King pointed at me with a severe expression, but I knew he was speaking to everyone else as well. I nodded once in agreement, but Vlad King was gone before he had a chance to see it.

Iylla emerged from the woods with Kota clinging to her back. How she ended up with Kota was beyond my realm of knowledge, but I also didn't try very hard to think of a possible answer. I was much too busy taking in her injuries. I counted just three injury sites, but each one was bleeding through her makeshift bandages.

Are those quirk canceling cuffs?

I noticed the metal bands around her wrists at the same time four villains ran out of the woods as they chased after Iylla. My fists tightened at my sides, frustrated that I'd been side-lined when I was perfectly capable of helping.

"Oh my gosh, this is like for real, for real," Kaminari muttered, clearly unable to fully handle the magnitude of the situation.

One of the villains chasing her was throwing knives at Iylla, so she pulled Kota off her back and nestled him in her arms. She held him tightly, but the action must have been challenging because of the cuffs she had on.