nine

chapter nine: i come bearing pepperoni and pineapple

episode five: exposed

JESSICA SLUMPS DOWN IN THE chair of her therapist's waiting room, checking her watch to see the time and wondering where her husband went

JESSICA SLUMPS DOWN IN THE chair of her therapist's waiting room, checking her watch to see the time and wondering where her husband went. Irritated, she feels her phone vibrate and looks down at the caller ID before answering. "Dante? Where are you?"

"Jessica. I— uh— just wanted to let you know that I'm not gonna be able to make this appointment. Carla asked me to come pick her up from school." He lies.

Jessica sighs and places her hands on her forehead. "Seriously? You're going to continue lying to me? You were the one who insisted on therapy and trying to work through this."

"Jessica, I can't talk right now. I'll see you later at home." Dante hangs up the phone, not wanting to deal with his wife at the moment. He looks around at the location he's at, silently cursing himself for getting into this mess. He climbs out of his car and walks into the abandoned lot.

"Hello?" Dante calls out, getting no reply. His cell phone chimes and he pulls it out of his pocket, seeing her got a new message that read Get in the car. He obliges.

After placing the money in the glove compartment, he lifts his head back up, seeing someone with a mask sitting in the backseat. "Wait a minute. Okay, I did what you said." He hands the money to the masked person as they slowly lower his head to the steering wheel. "It's 10,000. That's all I could get in a day."

The masked person grabs Dante's head, slamming it on the steering wheel. "Ow! God!" He pants. "If you want the rest... Wait. How do I even know you have it?"

They grab him by the neck, holding a knife to his throat and showing him the video Dante wishes never existed. "If I give you the $100,000, I need a guarantee that thing disappears forever. Please."

Realizing he has no other choice other than to listen to them, he agrees. "Okay, I need two days."

∘∘∘