five

chapter five: the good girl or the bad girl

episode three: wanna play a game?

JAKE RUNS OVER TO HIS desk as he hears his phone ringing

JAKE RUNS OVER TO HIS desk as he hears his phone ringing. He looks at the caller ID, pausing for a minute before lifting the phone up to his ear. "Chloe? What's going on."

"I'm outside your house."

Jake raises his eyebrow in confusion before remembering Chloe can't see his face. "Why?"

"Please, can you just— can you just come down." Even Jake can hear the how upset she sounded just by the tone of Chloe's voice. Sounding like she had been crying.

He wastes no time grabbing his jacket, racing down the stairs and out his front door, where Chloe was standing at the edge of his drive way. Jake stops in his tracks, almost afraid to go up to her.

He takes small steps until he reaches her, slowly putting his hand on her shoulder to turn her around. "Chloe?"

Chloe whips her head around and Jake takes his hand off her shoulder as she starts rambling. "I was looking at scenes for us to perform for Language Arts class and then I was instantly reminded of our conversation on the bench this afternoon."

Jake gives her a confused look. "Okay? I don't under—"

"Am I really the mouse or shark?" Chloe cuts him off. "Or whatever the stupid animals in your dumb analogy were. Am I not the apex predator? I've never not been the apex predator, so if I'm not the apex predator, what am I? I for sure haven't ever been the type of girl who gets played, lied to and cheated on, okay? That's not me. So why did I?"

Jake's eyes go soft as he witnesses Chloe's rambling. He wants to give his imput so badly, but he knows she isn't finished ranting.

"Why wasn't I good enough?" She continues. "Why wasn't I good enough for him? Why do I keep going for guys I know aren't right for me and who will just end up hurting me. I don't understand, and I don't even realize I'm doing it until it's too late."