thirteen

chapter thirteen: are you trying to give me the coma finger?

episode eight: ghosts

CHLOE SITS IN JAKE'S HOSPITAL room, holding his hand

CHLOE SITS IN JAKE'S HOSPITAL room, holding his hand. She was wishing that he would just wake up and say some cheesy pickup line already. The silence felt weird, but Chloe wanted to be here when opened his eyes.

Noah knocks on the door, poking his head in before entering. "I've never seen him with his mouth shut before." He points at Jake.

Chloe chuckles softly. "Hey."

Noah's expression turns serious. "Is he gonna be okay?"

Chloe looked back at Jake with a blank look on her face. "Yeah. He's just sleeping off his pain meds." She explains. "Doctors say it was some kind of miracle it missed his major organs."

"That's good." Noah tries to look on the positive side, given everything that just happened.

"I don't know. He should be up by now." Chloe studies his face for a moment before standing up. "I'm gonna go get some answers." She leaves the hospital room trying to find a nurse or doctor somewhere around.

Noah watches her leave before looking back at Jake. "So, unconscious Jake. The things I want to say to you." He leans in close and whispers. "It was me who tagged your 400-horsepower, check-me-out monster truck, and it was awesome."

Noah laughs to himself for this before seeing Jake's hand slowly move around. Noah squints his eyes at the boy he thought was unconscious. "Are you trying to give me the coma finger?"

"Nerd." Jake grunts, opening his eyes. "What happened? We all make it?"

Noah looks down, not sure if he should tell him about what happened. "Uh, yeah. Yeah, we got out."

"Let me guess, Emma went all Florence Nightingale on Will's ass. And then fell in love with that dumb hayseed again. And now they're out making sweet, sweet love..." Jake laughs sarcastically.

Noah rubs his neck awkwardly. "Uh, not exactly—"

Chloe walks back in the room and her mood instantly brightens when she sees that Jake was finally awake. "Hey!" She rushes over to Jake and hugs up. "I'm so happy you're awake."