A Proposition

-chapter 7-

With Silco's figure emblazoned in my retinas, I stand frozen, gaze locked on him. When his eyes leave Sevika and meet mine, a wave of nausea floods my body and it takes everything within me not to keel over and dry heave. This is not how I expected to feel when I first saw him, I think to myself as my stomach configures itself into multiple knots.

"I suppose if you ever have wronged me, you've always made it right." Silco speaks to Sevika, eyes still on me. "Don't get ahead of yourself, though, there's always room for failure; and from what I hear, this little thing needs an attitude adjustment." He tilts his head slightly, looking me up and down slowly with a calculating gaze. My chest stiffens and a new feeling blooms in the depths of the anxiety knots residing in my stomach; anger. It boils up from between the cracks as he raises his eyebrows at my dumbfounded expression, his mouth knitting itself into an even deeper frown than the one he wore before. I feel the anger claw up the sides of my stomach and into my chest, where I quell it desperately. Thankfully, before a spark can catch, I plaster on a mask of unnerving calm. The very man I've come to dethrone stands before me; if I ruin this now, everything will be for nothing. I sweep a light, nonchalant smile onto my face and wave at him slowly, my face a picture of sarcasm. In reality, I'm calculating every single move around me and processing it quickly, which is why I catch a figure swing out of sight from above us on the rooftops. Tabling the vision in my mind, I continue with the man at hand.

"Hi- yeah, I'm right here you know." I say jokingly. I catch Sevika eyeballing me harshly, and I can practically hear her thoughts. Ignoring them, I take a few steps towards Silco, offering my hand in greeting. Instead he looks at it like I've offered him a dead rodent. His eyes dart from my outstretched hand, to my eyes, and to Sevika once more.

"And she continues to deliver." He addresses Sevika once more, a condescending tone dripping from his words. As he passes me to walk towards Sevika, he pauses beside me.

"You can put your hand down, girl, I'm not going to shake it. You look like a mannequin."

When he continues past me, I lower my hand slowly and my jaw drops open. I guess I shouldn't expect any more from someone as foul as he is, but at the same time a part of me is still shocked. How could someone just be so downright fucking rude?

"I suppose she could use a bit of an attitude check." Sevika amends. "That's something I'm actively working on, Silco. If anything, I could say the same for Jin-"

Silco's gaze turns searing, effectively silencing Sevika. A perk of working directly under Silco is that you learn pretty quickly how to choose your battles, and Sevika has mastered this very well. She shuts her mouth, knowing this isn't the hill to die on today.

"Maybe she'll still make a good soldier yet, I'll give you that." Silco muses after a moment of silence. I watch him from where I stand, analyzing him as he analyzes me. After he seems to have thoroughly gauged my capacity for strength solely through my looks, he turns to Sevika once more. "Now, the reason for my audience here-"

"Why didn't you tell me you were leaving?" A familiar voice rings from the shadowy depths of the Under City around us. I can't quite tell where she is, but of course, I immediately know who it is from her tone. And besides, who else consistently makes shadowy entrances like this besides her? Can I not catch a break from this girl?

Silco doesn't bother to turn; he only lowers his head and lets out an exasperated sigh. "Well, you seemed pretty busy with all of that racket you were making."