Unveiled

-chapter 25-

Instead of waking up to neons, I wake up to the dull grays of Jinx's ceiling. I go to sit up quickly before realizing I have a weight on me- it's Jinx, sound asleep against my stomach. I smile, settling back into the couch. I don't know how we got here last night, but thinking about it makes my head hurt worse. I hadn't wanted the crossfaded hangover, but it seems that I'm on the receiving end of at least some of it.

When my hand finds her head, I feel that her hair is still messy from the night before, flaring wildly around her head with gel and glitter still stuck in it. I begin to work my digits through it slowly and he sighs, nuzzling further into my skin but remaining asleep. I indulge in a smile as I comb my fingers through it and try to remember the events of last night.

"You're a fucking Piltie. Act like it."

Ah, yes. I had met Jinx's insufferable ex and beat the shit out of her. The memory almost makes me laugh a little. While I may be sore, it's damn well not from her; I look down to Jinx's sleeping form and laugh as I remember the rest of last night's events.

"Mmph.." Jinx stirs, cracking her eyes open and immediately wincing at the light. "What're'you laughin'at?"

"Nothing, love. Sleep." You say, taking a deep breath to settle your amusement as your hands return to her scalp. She almost makes an attempt to wake up, but sighs and quickly drifts back to sleep.

As my eyes flutter, threatening to take me in the same direction as Jinx, my mind begins to wander with it. I ponder Mynth's words for the dozenth time in the past twelve hours, and can't help but crack open an eye once more to glance at Jinx; she's still fast asleep. What would she think of me, knowing my past? My history topside? As much as I hate it, Mynth's words send a chill down my spine. What if she has it out for me now? Will she find Jinx and craft some elaborate lies around my past?

Then Jinx comes to mind- her eyes filled with adoration every time she looks at me, her content little sighs and breaths of happiness when I hold her. No, she wouldn't hate me, I don't think, but it's better to get ahead of the drama.

I nod to myself. That's what I'll do. Jinx showed me a piece of her story, and I'll show her a piece of mine. I hold her tighter subconsciously and she sighs again, nestling farther into my body.

She confided in me, and now it's time I confide in her.

___

"Where are we going?" Jinx asks excitedly as we stride down the main street of the Undercity.

"It's a surprise, angel." I say lightly, squeezing her hand that's interlaced with mine. Her hair is back to being braided again- she had asked very politely that I wash and braid it again, because of course, she was just way too hungover to do it herself- but instead of her signature outfit, she wears a jacket and clean pants that I stole from a topside imports store.

"What? This? Do I have to?" She had complained as I raised them to her a few hours before.

"Yes, you do. If you don't, it'll ruin the surprise!"

"Ugh. Fine."

I had brought her out to breakfast on the way to our destination, so she had quickly forgotten about her unusual attire.

I lead her towards the bridge that connects the two sides, eyeing to the left and right cautiously. It wasn't illegal to cross, but very unusual- topsiders like it topside, and bottomsiders like it bottomside, leading to a very rare mixture of the two. Any crossing will get you flagged. In an attempt to help fly mostly under this, I tied my hair up and forced it under a hood- Jinx did the same as she realized where we were going.