Vaporwave

-chapter 23-

My hand is clasped tightly in Jinx's as she leads me down a flight of metal stairs in an unfamiliar warehouse. With my time in the undercity, I could have sworn I would have seen a building of this magnitude before- nevertheless, the scenery is unfamiliar to me, as is the structure. As we descend, the sound of bass beating from below us gets louder and louder with every step we take down into the depths. Instead of talking, Jinx just shoots me excited grins, and I let her lead me ever deeper. I don't dare to ask how close we are to the bottom.

After what seems like an eternity, we reach a flat area. As we continue in one direction, it thins to a dimly lit, concrete lined hallway- as we go, little designs begin to bloom on either side of us, getting more and more frequent as we get closer to the looming metal door at the end. Two large, beefy men stand watch on either side of it.

"Heya, fellas, long time no see!" Jinx chimes, going in to dap up the one on the left. The man simply looks down at her silently from behind his chunky black sunglasses, obviously unamused at her antics. She sighs through her teeth, and opts to slap his bicep instead. "Alright, that's embarrassing."

Jinx turns to the man on the other side, but at his glare decides not to even attempt to make contact.

"Alright, fine, if you guys are gonna be assholes, will you just let us in?"

The two make eye contact and nod to each other without words before the left leans in, grasping the metal door handle. As he opens it, beams of bright light begin to spill out into the hallway and the bass increases exponentially, nearly shaking the concrete.

"Perfect!" Jinx sings, pulling me along behind her towards the din. Before we can make it all the way through the doors, though, one of the men's hands clamps down on my wrist with a grip that almost makes me wince. At the sudden halt, Jinx whirls around. To my surprise, when she sees the man with his hold on me, her smile only grows wider.

"Ah, ah, ah buddy, I wouldn't do that. She's with me, and if you value that arm that you're touching her with, I would let her go." His grip doesn't waver, and her eyes turn from happy to steely in a split second. "Don't make me repeat myself."

Finally, the bouncer defers, letting go. I rub my wrist idly and shoot him a glare before returning to Jinx's side and she thrusts an arm out in front of her, gesturing to a scene that makes my eyes nearly pop out of my head.

"We're here!"

A world of color is laid before us, chaos breaking and crashing like waves and colors swirling around and through everything. What must be thousands of people are packed tightly into the huge concrete dome, weaving and meshing around each other, each in a more bright and eye-catching outfit than the last. I immediately acknowledge the importance of our clothing. All over the walls are spray painted designs from full on, breathtaking murals to small doodles simply filling in the gaps. I can't even begin to comprehend it, but even the ceiling hundreds of feet up is coated in paint. The designs seem to jump off the wall as they glow in the light of the neons and the UV, bouncing around with the music. Every type of party light that could be imagined emanates from a central light bar on the ceiling, directly above a raised platform.

"Come on, let's go get drinks!" Jinx calls over the music, pulling me towards said platform.

This structure in the middle of the floor has two tiers- the bottom one is a bar, though there are no stools. This is a walk up bar, which becomes increasingly obvious as I begin to register that nearly everyone roving the dance floor has a cup in their hand. If not that, then some sort of drug. Above this bottom tier is an even more elevated one high above everything else, from which all of the music booms. It's obvious the DJ resides here, a short girl that seems to sit even shorter than Jinx manning the many devices. When she catches a glimpse of Jinx she begins to jump up and down, waving her arms about and screaming Jinx's name which is barely audible over her music. Her short neon green hair sits crazily around her head, pulled up in two little pigtails on top of her head. Jinx waves back just as animatedly before continuing to pull me towards the bar. I decide not to question it.