Let's Play a Game

-chapter 10-

"Have a drink with me, crazy girl?"

For what seems like forever, we sit in awkward silence, my decanters in hand as Jinx tries to register what's happening in front of her. It looks as though she doesn't know how to react to the situation at hand. She furrows her eyebrows, switching her gaze from the bottles to me and back again. Sighing, I begin to retract my arm from the offering position it was in before her hands dart out to snatch up the one that's half full. My eyebrows raise at her sudden movement.

Breaking the seal of my own brand new decanter, I raise it to her in cheers, a light hearted smile on my lips. Jinx looks down at the one in her hand, seemingly doing a reset of her brain before looking up again and uncorking her own to match my position. With a newfound look on her face, we both raise the alcohol to our lips- Jinx hesitates, though, and watches me as I down a considerably sized gulp of the clear liquid. My face contorts and I feel tears well at the corners of my eyes, but when I look back to her I steady the look on my face to send her a reassuring one. Upon seeing my cheesy grin back, she downs a drink of her own- to my surprise, she throws back three or four chugs without so much as a twinge of discomfort. I stare at her in awe, mouth slightly agape.

"You had these the whole time and didn't say anything?" Jinx pesters after she's wiped her mouth, setting the bottle on the concrete below us. "Maybe you're not so boring after all."

Again, Jinx has successfully changed her entire demeanor in mere seconds. Rather than being annoyed, I find myself to be rather worried. Maybe I'm reading too far into her, I think quickly, before Jinx darts to her feet and pulls me with her.

"Let's play a game!" She chimes. "You like games, right, Y/N?"

I eye her suspiciously. "Uh... why? What kind of game?"

Jinx only smirks back, before smothering the look with an innocent one. She bats her eyelashes carefully, bending down to pick up her own bottle once more.

"I was thinking truth or dare, but if you have something better in mind, toots-"

"Truth or dare is fine!" I interrupt quickly, almost scared of whatever other ideas she would spout if I disagreed with her current one. She smiles again, her eyes alight with something mischievous.

"Mmm, bummer," She hums. "I had some other things in mind as well, but this will do just fine." Taking another swig from her bottle, she tips the neck towards me- getting the message, I throw back my own bottle as well, trying my best to quell the burning feeling that floods the back of my throat. Turning around with an overdramatic twirl, she starts to walk towards the edge of the building.

"Well then, sweet cheeks," She continues, gazing off into the dark abyss of the night, "Truth or dare?"

I think for a moment, racking my brain for the pros and cons of each choice. Finally coming to a decision, I mutter nervously, "Um... Truth?"

"Did you consider killing me the first time we met?" Jinx muses, jumping right in.

"Did you?" I counter quickly. Jinx spins back around to glare at me, giving me a once over with her arms crossed over her chest.

"That's not the rules! You have to answer honestly." She insists. "Plus, it's not your turn to ask questions. It's mine."

I shut my mouth, mulling over her question. Is there a right way to answer this? I sigh, finally coming to a conclusion. "I wanted to prove myself, not kill you." I respond.

Her eyebrows shoot up. "But you didn't think about shooting me? Even for one second?" She presses, obviously not satiated by my previous answer.

"I suppose it probably crossed my mind in the heat of the moment." I offered.