Chapter Three

Trying to wake up before eight-thirty to make it to my first lecture proved to be difficult—especially because I had been dreaming about a man with beautiful dark eyes—but come Monday morning, I managed to swing my legs over the edge of my bed eventually. I was surprised to see Felicity doing the exact same on the other side of the room.

Penny was still fast asleep, making the tiniest snorting sounds as she breathed. I was never one to get annoyed about chewing and sleeping noises, and this was just cute.

I rubbed a hand over my face, grabbing my phone from the nightstand on instinct, not even knowing what to expect. The saying 'out of sight, out of mind' really made more sense to me now that it had been two days since my closest friend at home—Lindsey—and I had spoken. And only through a couple of texts.

One might have thought that to be normal—healthy, even. But from the moment the blonde had seen me, she seemed attached to my hip; texting me every minute of every day, asking me to go out or come shopping on the regular and almost going as far as holding my hand whenever I went to the bathroom. It had been a little weird and overwhelming for me, her being so close all the time. My gut told me something was wrong—something felt a little...off. Turns out I was right.

On a positive note, it made me miss home a little less. Maybe—even if I didn't want to prove my parents right—this was exactly what I needed. A fresh start where no one knew who I was. I always hated to admit that my parents were right, so I would never tell them, but maybe they were onto something when they sent me away.

Shrugging, I placed the device face down back on my nightstand, raising from the comforts of my soft mattress to pull on a pair of leggings.

I never was one to have many friends anyway. My parents were very clear about the company I was supposed to keep, especially since I was their only child. God forbid I would find someone to laugh with or simply talk to without having to fight for my position in this bullshit society.

"Jenny," Felicity hissed, and I rolled my eyes at her use of a name I knew for a fact, she was aware wasn't mine.

"Yes, Fallon?" I retorted softly, tying my shoelaces and getting my bag.

Felicity snorted a laugh and jerked her chin to the hall, beckoning for me to follow her.

Making sure I had everything I needed for this first day of classes, I tip-toed out of the room. I squinted against the bright light of the common area, feeling like I was only half awake, which was probably not very far from the truth.

"What?" I asked Felicity when I pulled the door to our room closed behind me. She crossed her arms, assessing my outfit. I ignored her stare, walking past her to the elevators. "I'm going to be late."

She followed me, her high heels tapping on the laminate flooring, and I had to keep myself from frowning at her choice of footwear for the day. She looked like she was ready for a photo shoot with Vogue, meanwhile, I just noticed a coffee stain on my sweater. I shrugged it off, though, going back to not really caring about what other people thought of me.

"What's your major?" Felicity asked, cocking her head to the side as we waited on the elevator.

I looked at her. "Journalism."

She nodded, flipping her light hair over her shoulder. "Looks like we're doing the same major then."

Some part of me felt relieved. At least there was someone I knew in my first class, even if we weren't the best of friends.

"Fun," I retorted, stepping into the lift when the doors rolled open.

We descended in silence. I kept my eyes firmly on the changing floor numbers, narrowing them at the bright light of the elevator. The prospect of waking up early every Monday for this class made me groan, and I let myself fall back against the wall.