Chapter Sixteen

It was safe to say that I didn't sleep a single second that night, again. The nightmares about Ava had long gone, thankfully, but now I had someone else on my mind. It might even have been a different kind of nightmare.

Regaining composure after Mr. Davis' words of that evening proved to be very difficult, but eventually, I managed and the rest of the session was fine. Trying to study while sharing flirtatious looks with your professor was actually prettya little fun.

I couldn't keep my eyes on his lips as he licked them and I purposely traced mine with a pen more often than natural, just to see the look on his face.

Since that night, the energy between us had drastically changed, and I found myself blushing under his gaze more than once. I had no idea where it was coming from, but those butterflies in my stomach were making me a little nauseous on a daily basis.

Going into town for some shopping with Felicity on Saturday turned out to be the perfect distraction, even though we weren't able to find what we were looking for.

There was this Christmas party being held in three weeks, and Felicity had insisted that we needed to look for an outfit now. Not that I had been confident that we would've been able to find one in the small town just a few miles away, but we ended up getting a drink instead anyway, so the day wasn't completely wasted.

-

My gaze drifted to the timer on the treadmill, and I debated if I should cut this workout short or push through. It was already way past curfew, yet I needed to blow off some steam. With everything going on-all those deaths-sneaking into the campus gym had almost been a necessity to run and lift all my frustrations away. Hopefully.

It was dark outside and I couldn't see a thing as I peered through the large floor-to-ceiling windows, but somehow, it calmed me down. Even though it shouldn't. I was utterly alone and the only sound was that of the treadmill and my own heavy breathing. The fact that the lights were dimmed didn't exactly help with the traces of anxiety lacing my brain, especially since every dark corner and shadow made me jump.

My cheeks glowed with heat and sweat ran down my forehead, but I needed to keep going for five more minutes. I should've visited this gym more often with how bad my endurance had become, but it was only yesterday that I discovered it was here in the first place. Even though I had already been here for two months.

With just three minutes left on the clock, I lowered the speed, nearly falling when the lights around me suddenly turned off. I managed to stay upright and went to stand on the sides, turning off the treadmill and looking around.

The only light in the room came from the moon outside, shining through the tall windows opposite the cardio section. I could suddenly see more of campus outside, but it didn't make me feel better.

"Hello?" I called through the dark, unable to see anyone in the gym with me. My mind was telling me to calm down, but at the same time, I had a good reason for being a little terrified. Was this the moment I was going to get taken, just like the others had?

I quickly packed my stuff while keeping my ears open and listening for any movement behind me, stuffing my towel and water bottle in my bag before I hurried towards the exit.

My footsteps echoed against the walls as I made my way to the hallway, ready to get back to the safety of the dorms. There was something eerie in the air, and my stomach fluttered with fear.

Maybe this had been a mistake. TheThis curfew was in place for a reason after all, and as much as I wanted to ignore everything that was going on, it turned out I couldn't.

I took a turn into the main hall but froze when I saw a dark silhouette in the doorway. They were at least thirty feet away, yet everything in my body screamed to run.