Forty Nine

Six Years Later

Who was he? 

That question had remained uanswered. Six years had passed and not much had changed. A gun remained strapped to his body at all times, his visits to The Pit although infrequent still happened, his business was as strong as ever and the need for control was ever-present. The only thing that was different was that he was now well and truly alone. There was no Zayn to quell his anger and be the voice of reason and comfort in his life, and no Aurelie to love him as much as he loved her. Everday he returned to an empty house, phone void of notifications if not related to work. Six birthdays, Christmases and New Years spent on his own, nothing but the ghosts of his past mistakes to keep him company. 

He had fooled himself into thinking that he didn't care, he was Harry Styles, he didn't rely on anyone but himself. But, as he walked down the streets of New York; the wind howling past his ear, hands stuffed into his pockets as he looked around aimlessly,  he couldn't help but notice those aroud him that laughed, joked and even cried together, simply satisfied with comfort of each others company. It taunted him, as if to say, this could have been you. You could have been happy, but you wanted more. More, Harry always wanted more, he felt that he deserved more. After everything he had been through in his past, he wanted the world, he wanted everything. He laughed, shaking his head as he realized that perhaps he might now have everything; money, power and control. But, at the cost of losing everything he had ever loved. He felt his phone buzz in his pockets and he stopped in his tracks, bringing the object to his ear. 

"Hello?" He spoke into the phone, the cold, unforgiving breeze nipping at his fingertips. 

"It's Calum, just wanted to let you know that I've returned from Itay." 

"Oh, how was it?" Harry's voice was gruff and monotone, no emotion to be detected. Calum had become accustomed to it, it was something that frightened him at first but eventually it just melted and became a part of Harry's cruel exterior. Calum had tried to befriend Harry, he had tried to be there for his boss,knowing the path that he would walk on without someone like Zayn to keep him straight, it would wreak havoc on everyone around him. However, it was all to no avail, instead his efforts earned him several threats, punches and a gun to his head. And so, just like everybody else, he gave up on Harry and treated him as nothing more than his boss. Their relationship never went past the exchange of 'yes' and 'no' and 'I'll get to it boss'.

"Did you find anything about him?"

"No, still nothing boss. Wherever he is, he's made sure that you won't be able to find him." 

"Well," Harry let out a breath, "He always was the meticuluous type." He looked up at the sky which darkened and threatened him with raindrops, making him wonder whether perhaps it was time he gave up and finally accepted his loss. "Calum, stop looking for him. He's made it clear that he doesn't want to be found.It's been six years, if he wanted me to see him he would've let me find him years ago. Letting him go is the least I can do for him at this point." 

"Yes boss, of course. But about Aurel-"

"Ow." Harry looked down at the little girl that had just ran into him. She rubbed her forehead as she looked up at Harry. A large smile on her face despite just hurting herself. Her eyes were large and so full of life, so vivacious. It reminded him of someone he knew. He smiled, patting her head softly. 

"Calum, I'll call you back later." He abruptly ended the call before putting his phone away while bending down to be eye level with the girl. "Are you al-" 

"Maman!" The little girl suddenly yelled, smile growing as she ran past Harry towards a woman standing further ahead. The woman turned, crouching down as she opened her arms wide to receive the girl. Harry's face paled, he stumbled backwards in shock. Milky white eyes, that smile and joy that she naturally exuded, it was her.