Chapter 2

L wakes up at the same time the next morning that she does every morning, around 6. The first thing she does is look at her phone. Slightly disappointed, she wonders if the radio silence means his blind date went well. Doing her best to ignore the small twinge of jealousy that began to pool in her stomach, she decided to text first. 

L: Good morning C
How was your date?

She doesn't hear from him until she sits down at her desk to eat her lunch like she did every day. She feels her heart skip a bit when she sees the new messages. 

C: L! Sadly, not great. And sorry, I'm a late sleeper
Did give me another guess for the L name...
Lacey?

L: *Sigh* You will never guess
Sorry about your date
I am an early riser. I also have to be because of my job
I hope that doesn't disqualify me from being friends 🙂
How old are you Mr. C? 

***

Before she could check her messages from C after school, her phone rang in her purse. Pulling it out, she noticed the face of her brother as she pressed the little green phone. "Liam, hey. How's it going?"

'Hey sis! Just making sure you know about James birthday party in a few weeks.'

She rolled her eyes. As if she couldn't remember when her nephew's birthday was. "Yes. Of course. February 23rd. I planned on staying at your place over the weekend. If that's okay."

'Yes. Yes. Of course it is. I have to go. Meagan is calling me. I love you sis.'

"Love you too Liam." She sighed, sliding her phone back into her purse until she got home. She changed quickly, having plans to meet her friend Beth at a local bar for dinner. As she waited for her friend, L finally pulled out her phone to find more messages. 

C: Gosh. I'm old 40
I hope *that* doesn't disqualify us from being friends
Now I have to guess your job *and* your name?
You're really making it difficult on me 😉
Lucy?

She giggled, about to respond when she heard Beth approach the table.

"What are you giggling at?"

She blushed under Beth's gaze as she took a seat across for her. She shrugged, nonchalantly, "just a friend."

Beth smirked, "a friend? A guy? Is it that guy you went out with the other night? Peter?"

L sighed, "no. He put his number in my phone, but it was wrong. I still don't know if that was an accident or not. When I texted the wrong number, I started chatting with this other guy." L handed Beth her phone, letting her look at the messages.

Beth thumbed through the messages before handing it back. "Flirty. You don't even know him though. He could be a serial killer."

L huffed a laugh, "we don't even know each other's first names Beth. And we both know he'll never guess mine."

Beth laughed, "that's probably true." She motioned to the phone, "well go on. Respond. I know you want to."

L smirked, nodding, "I do."

L: Definitely not Lucy
I'm 33. High school art teacher
Something tells me you don't like it too easy 🤭😉
Any hobbies or talents Mr. C?

L looked up to see Beth watching her, "okay. Okay. I'm putting it away." She turned off the phone and placed it back into her purse, giving her friend her full attention. 

Beth smiled, "you're blushing. You like the flirting."

L shrugged, "it's kind of fun. The mystery."

She nodded, "yeah. I can see how it would be. Just be careful, that's all."

L nodded, sighing, "I will be Beth. Can we just eat dinner now?"

***

L laid in bed after her dinner with Beth and grabbed her phone to check C's messages. 

C: Not Lucy either? . . . Laura?
Art teacher? I love it. I assume that means you draw? I'd love to see something sometime
And you're right, I'm enjoying the game. I don't like anything too easy
Hobbies? I read. I play piano. I guess you could say movies
Those are my least embarrassing answers. You?

L stands up to grab her sketchbook to find a picture she can show him. She finally choses a picture she drew of her nephew as a baby. After snapping a picture of it, she sends it to C with her response.

L: This is my nephew James as a baby
And sorry. Not Laura either
Piano you say? Prove it
I play guitar. And I draw. Read
I'm also curious about your embarrassing answers 🤭

She laid back on the bed, under the blanket. She had given up receiving anymore messages from him after a few minutes, setting the phone on the nightstand when she heard the dings. Along with the messages he sent a short video of him playing the piano, only showing his hands.

C: See. Piano
You realize you have to play guitar for me now
Not Laura?!
Linda?
Maybe I'll divulge more embarrassing ones when we know each other better

***

Chris just settled back into bed when messages and a video from L came through. It was her playing guitar. She positioned it the same, only on her hands. Not only did she play, but she sang some of it as well.

🎵 Masquerading as a man with a reason
My charade is the event of the season
And if I claim to be a wise man, well
It surely means that I don't know
On a stormy sea of moving emotion
Tossed about, I'm like a ship on the ocean
I set a course for winds of fortune
But I hear the voices say
Carry on my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more, no
Carry on, you will always remember
Carry on, nothing equals the splendor
Now your life's no longer empty
Surely heaven waits for you
Carry on, my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry, don't you cry no more 🎵

L: Guitar. There you go. Now I've shared my art and music with you
I think I'm owed some embarrassing
Not Linda -

Chris chuckled at the choice of song before responding.

C: I love classic 80's. Also you have a beautiful voice
You didn't say you sang as well
I'm going to run out of L names. Are you sure it starts with an L?
Leia?
Maybe I'll divulge an embarrassing hobby/talent when you guess my name
Goodnight Ms. L

He turned off the sound, laying his phone on the nightstand for the night as he stared at the ceiling. It was getting harder for him to not think about her the last few days. And now he knew it would be even harder after hearing her sing.