Chapter 20

Lennon sat down in front of Mrs. Adams, the principal. She let out a sigh, her expression conveying her seriousness. "I need Brad Jones transferred out of my class to another teacher's class."

Mrs. Adams nodded attentively. "Okay. Can I ask why?"

Lennon hesitated for a moment before responding. "It has to do with my past with his father. It's personal. Please understand."

The principal leaned back slightly in her seat, assessing the situation. "You can't provide any further details?"

Choosing her words carefully, Lennon replied, "Let's just say he's an overzealous ex-boyfriend. Our relationship didn't end well." She observed Mrs. Adams' thoughtful expression.

After a moment, Mrs. Adams nodded, her tone understanding. "Alright, I'm going to trust you on this."

Lennon stood up, a sense of relief washing over her. "Thank you so much, Mrs. Adams."

The principal let out a soft chuckle. "Please, Anne."

Realizing her formality, Lennon corrected herself. "Right, thank you Anne."

***

"I'm fine, Chris." Lennon's voice reassured as she sat at her desk, engrossed in her homework and paperwork after school.

"Do you want me to bring you dinner?" Chris asked through the phone.

With a sigh, she replied. "No, Chris. I'll be done in a bit, okay? I love you. I'll be home soon."

"Okay. Call me when you leave. I love you too."

"I will, babe." She hung up the phone, appreciating his concern but also needing some space. After finishing her tasks, she gathered her belongings and headed to her car. Lost in her thoughts, she didn't realize how dark it had gotten by the time she reached the parking lot. As she started to dial Chris's number, she heard footsteps behind her. She groaned, turning to face the approaching figure as she reached her car. "What do you want?"

Eric shrugged casually. "You kicked my son out of your class. He liked your class."

Lennon's tone was firm. "Well, I didn't want to have to deal with you anymore. So please, just leave me alone, Eric." Retrieving her keys from her purse, she saw him advancing towards her. "Stay back."

Ignoring her warning, he continued to approach. "Or what?"

She didn't respond, her caution growing. As he reached her, he grabbed her arm, prompting her to knee him hard between the legs. Eric grunted and released his grip, causing her to quickly unlock her car door. She tossed her purse inside and felt him seize her arm again, spinning her around and pressing her against the car's side.

"Now that was rude, Lenny."

Wincing, she responded. "Why can't you just leave me alone?"

"Because you are mine. I had you first, before anyone else."

Lennon scoffed, the tension evident in her voice. "Yeah, and you fucked me up in the process." He leaned in for a kiss, but she bit his lip hard, causing him to flinch. Reacting quickly, he struck her face, making her fall to the ground. He forcefully pulled her back up, gripping her arm.

As she stood, Lennon utilized the element of surprise. She swung her right fist at his cheek and followed it with a knee between his legs. Capitalizing on his pain, she managed to climb into the driver's seat, swiftly locking the door behind her.

***

"Come on, Chris. I'm fine!" Lennon's voice held a mixture of exasperation and reassurance as they walked back home from the police station.