Chapter 17

******Trigger Warning - Sexual Assault******

*Flashback*

Liam approached the front desk of the hospital with a mixture of caution and dread, his sister's name leaving his lips hesitantly. "I'm here to see Lennon Ellis. I was told she was brought in here?" The receptionist looked up at him with a sympathetic expression that didn't go unnoticed.

His stomach was tied in knots as he followed her down seemingly endless hallways until they stood outside Lennon's room. A nurse emerged from the room, stopping him before he could enter. "You can't go in there yet. We're not done."

The nurse exchanged a knowing glance with the receptionist, who pointed him toward a chair near the door. Sitting down, his stomach twisted even tighter. The anticipation was accompanied by a searing feeling in his gut as his mind conjured the worst possibilities. Their parents were out of town, and the responsibility for Lennon's well-being fell squarely on his shoulders. How could they ever forgive him if anything happened to her? How could he ever forgive himself?

He couldn't sit still, standing up to pace restlessly. His nerves were further rattled when he noticed an officer approaching. The officer pulled out a pad and regarded Liam with a careful look.

"Are you the brother? Liam?"

He nodded slowly, his voice laced with desperation. "Please. Can you tell me anything?"

The officer paused, considering his words. "Where are your parents?"

"They're out of town. Please."

"Are you a minor?"

"No! I'm 19. Can someone please tell me what the hell is going on?! What happened to my sister?" Frustration surged within him, his hands clenching and unclenching as he struggled to control the urge to lash out at the officer, who now seemed more annoyed than sympathetic.

The officer sighed, his tone somber. "She was dropped off unconscious in front of the emergency room." He took a brief pause, his next words hitting Liam like a heavy blow. "She was beaten, and they're currently conducting a rape kit on her. She hasn't provided any details about the incident or the perpetrator. Can you try to get her to talk?"

No more knots; just a seething inferno of anger. Angry tears welled up in his eyes, and he fought to keep his emotions in check. He knew that giving in to rage wouldn't solve anything. Still, he couldn't suppress the urge to hit the wall, leaving a dent in its wake.

The officer observed him for a moment before asking. "Does she have a boyfriend?"

Liam nodded, taking a deep breath to quell the fire within – at least temporarily. "Eric Jones. I don't know much about him. He goes to Harvard. He's a jerk, that's all I know." The officer leaned forward, placing a hand on Liam's shoulder in a gesture of consolation that felt misplaced. It was Liam's sister who needed comfort right now. "Can I see her?"

The officer nodded, his demeanor softer. "As soon as they're finished."

Just then, the nurse who had led him earlier reappeared, her gaze on him. Her words were a mix of reassurance and dread. "She's asking for you." The nurse led Liam to the room, her grip on his arm gentle yet firm. His fists clenched as he absorbed her words. "She sustained severe injuries, particularly to her face. There are scratch marks on her legs and torso, as well as extensive bruising all over her body. She was also subjected to sexual assault."

Knots twisted in his stomach once again, this time accompanied by a sickening, sinking sensation. Liam nodded, entering the room cautiously, trying to prepare himself for what he was about to witness. But nothing could truly brace him for seeing his sister in such a state. He couldn't suppress the tears that welled up as he saw her battered face – her left eye swollen shut, bruises marring her skin. "Oh, Lenny..." He whispered, his voice choked with emotion. Her response was a sad shake of her head, and she extended her bruised arms towards him.

Without hesitation, Liam moved to her side, running his fingers through her dark hair gently. She didn't say anything, simply patting the bed beside her, wincing from the pain of movement. He settled on the bed next to her, wrapping his arms around her with the utmost care. They remained there in each other's embrace, silent tears streaming down both their faces.

*End of Flashback*

As Liam recounted the painful story, Chris's agitation grew palpable. He stopped his pacing, settling onto the couch, his eyes locked onto Liam as if searching for answers.

"What happened? Was it Eric?" Chris's voice was a mix of concern and anger.

Liam offered a shrug, his gaze fixed on a distant memory. "She claimed it was him. But deep down, I always believed there was more to the story than she was willing to admit."

Chris's frustration manifested in a forceful hit to the couch. "How is he walking around freely if he did this to her?"

Liam's voice held a bitter edge. "He used a condom. There was no concrete forensic evidence. It boiled down to a he-said-she-said situation. His parents had money, he was a star athlete. Nobody cared enough to pursue it further. They couldn't prove it was him."

Chris's face contorted in a mix of anger and helplessness. "So, he got away with it. But, damn it, if she's living in the same town with him now..."

Liam continued, his voice tense, "It was bad, Chris. She had marks on her wrists and ankles, scratch marks, bruises all over her body. The nurse who conducted the rape evaluation even suggested there might have been more than one person involved. But she never talked about it, not to me or our parents. She was in therapy for years, slowly trying to piece herself back together."

Chris absorbed the weight of the information, nodding as he processed the gravity of the situation. "I can see why you're concerned. Being around him might trigger painful memories, even regress her progress."

Liam sunk further into his seat, his expression burdened. "Exactly. She wouldn't even leave her room at one point. She stopped eating, finished her senior year locked away. She was terrified of men, except for our father and me. It took so long to get her to open up again."

Chris shook his head, troubled. "I've tried talking to her, gently bringing it up. But she shuts down every time, says she'll talk when she's ready."

Liam let out a frustrated sigh. "She's not going to talk unless you make her feel safe enough to do so."

Chris ran a hand through his hair, a mixture of worry and determination on his face. "I'm trying my best, Liam. But I don't know how to help her when she won't let me in."

Liam leaned forward, his gaze fixed on Chris's. "Make her feel safe, Chris. Create an environment where she knows she won't be judged or pressured. It's a delicate balance between giving her space and gently guiding her to open up."

Chris's jaw clenched, a resolute expression taking over. "I won't let her suffer in silence. I'll find a way to break through, to help her heal."

Liam nodded, a flicker of hope in his eyes. "Just be patient, persistent, and most importantly, unwavering in your support. She needs that more than anything right now."