Chapter 6

Lennon pulled her hands away, glancing up at Chris with a mixture of amusement and skepticism. "Chris? Seriously? Is this some kind of joke?"

He chuckled, his eyes holding a sincere glint. "No joke, Lennon. You were absolutely right. I was never going to guess that."

Despite her efforts to maintain her annoyance, something about his laughter was infectious. She sighed, a reluctant smile forming. "Well, I did try to give you hints. I even sang John Lennon for you!" She crossed her arms, feeling a chill in the air without a jacket.

Chris's laughter filled the space again, and Lennon couldn't help but feel her irritation fading. "You did indeed. I'm an idiot." His gaze softened, noticing her shivering. "Let's go back inside. Is there somewhere we can talk?"

She hesitated but nodded. After re-entering the house, they found the upstairs relatively vacant. Leading him to her bedroom, she closed the door behind them. But before she could fully process the situation, Chris's lips were on hers, igniting a fire within her. She moaned, her arms instinctively wrapping around his neck as he lifted her up against the door. Their passionate embrace was only broken when Chris pulled away, turning away from her.

"I'm sorry. It's just... I've been thinking about this for weeks." He turned back to face her, his eyes earnest. "Having you here in front of me... It's surreal. I was worried you might not even be real."

Lennon laughed, sitting on the bed. "I had similar doubts. It's quite the coincidence that it's you. Or that you know my brother."

Chris joined her on the bed, sharing her amusement. "Yeah, I think Carly had something to do with that. She had the idea of setting us up on another blind date."

Groaning, Lennon rolled her eyes. "That explains the weird behavior from my brother and his wife last night." She stood up and started pacing. "What do we do now?"

Chris rose as well, laughing at her restlessness. He reached out and grabbed her hand, pulling her toward him. "What do you mean? Let me take you out, Lennon."

She hesitated, pulling away slightly. "Don't you owe me some embarrassing revelation?"

Chris groaned playfully, shaking his head. "Okay, stand back."

"Okay?" She raised an eyebrow, taking a few steps back as he started to dance.

"Would be better with tap shoes, but you get the idea. I can tap dance."

Lennon burst into laughter. "That's adorable. Do you happen to have tap shoes at your place?"

Chris shrugged, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "Well, that's something you'll have to find out by coming over."

Just as she was about to retort, a knock on the bedroom door interrupted them. "I don't want anyone to know we're in here together." Before she could react, Chris swiftly maneuvered her into the closet, shutting the door just in time as the bedroom door opened.

Lennon listened as Liam spoke to Chris outside the room, and as soon as the coast was clear, she opened the closet door, laughing. "You pushed me into my childhood closet? Do you realize how many nightmares I had because of this closet?"

Chris chuckled nervously. "I panicked! I'm sorry." He surveyed the room and then turned his attention back to her. "So, this is your childhood bedroom?"

Lennon nodded. "Yeah. My brother kept it as a guest room so that I could stay here whenever I visited."

Chris grinned. "You grew up right here in Concord, just down the street from Sudbury, and we've never met until now?"

She shrugged, smiling wryly. "Seems that way. Now, come on, I have to get back downstairs."

As she moved to leave the room, Chris grabbed her arm gently, stopping her. "I'm sorry for kissing you without asking first. I meant what I said earlier, I do try to be a gentleman."

Lennon laughed softly. "I appreciate that. And I hope you're not saying you regret it."

Chris shook his head, a twinkle in his eyes as he brushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "Definitely not. In fact, I want to do it again. Can I?"

She smirked, playfully raising an eyebrow. "Well, we'll see about that."

Returning downstairs, Lennon grabbed her guitar and took a seat next to James. She noticed Liam's knowing smirk as she settled in, her thoughts racing with the events of the day. With a glance at Chris, she began to think of an appropriate song to play for James's party.

🎵Who would've thought, it figures
Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
And life has a funny way of helping you out
Helping you out.🎵

Liam stood up, "the adults are going to be upstairs. You kids behave yourselves. Someone will be down to check on you periodically."