Chapter 13

It had been a week since Lennon sat at family dinner with Chris and his family. With a free weekend, she decided to show up in Boston. Knocking on the door, she waited for a response. A surprised Scott opened the door.

"Lennon? What are you doing here? Is Chris okay?"

She laughed and pushed past him into his apartment. "He's fine. He told me where you lived and said you'd be home all weekend."

He scoffed, "well just let yourself in then, why don't you."

She shrugged, handing him a cup of coffee as she set her stuff down. "I will. Thank you."

"What are you doing here, Lennon?"

She sighed, plopping on his couch with her coffee. "You don't like me. And normally I wouldn't care if someone doesn't like me, but you're Chris's brother and I care about Chris. So I need you to like me, Scott. And I'm not leaving until you do." She smirked at his semi-amused look.

"And you thought just showing up here and inserting yourself into my apartment and life would do that?"

"Well, you're a Virgo and I realize that means you don't like being thrown off your normal routine or surprised. I also know that means you're stubborn, and once you think you know something, it can be hard to change your mind." She smirked, shrugging, "well, I'm an Aries, which means I don't give a damn and I'm more stubborn than you. So I can sit here all weekend, Scott." She sat on the couch in silence for a while as he watched her. He didn't say anything, so she pulled out her book, reading as she avoided his gaze.

Scott laughed and sat on a nearby chair, observing her. Eventually, he broke the silence, "you're a pain in the ass. My brother never likes the easygoing ones."

She laughed, "I am. But as far as your brother is concerned, I'm not going anywhere, Scott. I realize we are still getting to know each other, but I really care about him and I plan on sticking around to see it through. So I'd appreciate not having to add his brother sabotaging our relationship, even before it really gets started. And I'm going to be working with your sisters, so you're going to be seeing me around."

He sighed, "I know. I'm sorry, Lennon. You have to see it from my point of view, though. It seems a bit farfetched."

"I know." She pulled out her phone and showed him Chris and Pete's numbers, the last two digits being switched. "Pete put his number in wrong. That's it. It was just a lucky coincidence."

He nodded and handed the phone back, "I believe you. I'm sorry, Lennon." He observed her expression, "you look disappointed."

She laughed, shrugging, "I thought there would be more of a fight."

Scott chuckled, "well, we can fight if you like."

"No, no. Your brother is really great. I'm just as surprised as you are that we met this way."

He nodded, "I know. He had a list of names written down. He kept track of all the names he guessed. I could tell there was something more than just a game of guessing your name. I could tell before you met that he was catching feelings."

She laughed, "he wrote down his guesses?"

Scott chuckled, "he did." He stood up, "come on. Let's go get something to eat."

She nodded, "I never say no to food."

***

After having lunch, they let themselves into Chris's house. They heard him playing the piano and called out to him, "Chris?"

He turned around upon hearing their voices, "hey. You guys haven't killed each other yet?"

She laughed, "no. We're okay. We talked, and Scott fed me lunch."

Chris laughed, stepping away from the piano to approach them. He gave his brother's shoulder a squeeze, "thanks for keeping an open mind."

Scott shrugged, "well, she sort of forced herself on me. What was I supposed to do?"

She laughed, "I didn't want to waste any time or build any negative tension. Better to have everything out in the open."

Scott nodded, "yeah. I agree. I should go, leave you guys to it."

After Scott left, she sat at the piano bench, "can you teach me something?"

Chris chuckled, sitting down beside her, "like what? I don't have any sheet music."

"I noticed. How do you usually learn new music?"

He shrugged, "I look it up online. I tend to pick things up quickly."

She sighed, "you're annoyingly perfect."

He laughed, "I know. So, what do you want to do for your birthday in a few weeks?"

"Oh." She stood up from the bench and moved to the couch, "I don't know. I don't need anything extravagant, Chris. Just something with family. Maybe an activity?"

He nodded, "an activity?" He smirked, sitting on the coffee table in front of her.

She giggled, "not that kind of activity. I meant something we can do with our families."

"I understood." He hesitated, "there's something else I wanted to talk to you about."

She nodded, leaning towards him, resting her hands on his thighs, "go ahead, Evans."

He chuckled, "okay, well. I know you'll be looking for a place in the area and staying with your brother. I'm not necessarily asking you to move in, but what if we did a trial run?"

"A trial run? What do you mean?"

He shrugged, "I thought maybe you could stay here for a few weeks over the summer. We'll see how we do, how we get along. If it works out, then we can discuss the possibility of moving in together?"

"Chris, we've only known each other for less than two months."

He sighed, "I know. By the time summer comes around, it'll be almost six months. I'm just suggesting you stay with me for a few weeks. Afterward, we can decide whether we're ready for a more permanent arrangement."

She nodded, "okay." She shifted to straddle him on the coffee table.

He chuckled, standing up to move to the couch, pulling her onto his lap. "Much more comfortable. What do you think?"

"I think I miss you when I'm home all week. And I'd like to wake up next to you every morning." Before Chris could respond, Dodger jumped up on the couch. "And it would be nice to wake up to you too, buddy!" She pet Dodger's head, scratching behind his ears.

Chris playfully sighed, "everyone always likes Dodger more than me."

She laughed as he feigned pouting. She shooed Dodger off the couch and then wrapped her arms around Chris's neck, "he doesn't get this." She leaned in, finding his tongue with hers, and heard him moan softly as they shared an intimate kiss.